Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: parsing a file by line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing a file by line Post 302246894 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 04:26:23 PM
Old 10-14-2008
Code:
awk '{ for (i=1; i <= NF ; i++) {printf("$%d=%s ", i, $i) }
         printf("\n")  } ' inputfilename

The default names for fields in awk are:
$0 - whole line
$1 - field 1
$2 - field 2
NF is the number of fields on the line.
You can substitute a variable like "i" for numbers of fields: "$i" is the field
that when i is evaluated, that field number is referenced.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a delimited line

I have a text file of lines like: A=5|B=7|G=4|C=3|P=4|... In other words, each line is a pipe-delimited set of pairs of strings of the form "X=Y". What I want to do is find the token starting with "C", and print it and its value (so I'd want to print "C=3" in the example above). I'm... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeys
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem parsing line in file

I am VERY new to unix scripting. I am having trouble parsing a line into fields for further processing. I have this script: #bin/sh cat ztest2.txt | while read line do zvar1=`echo $line | cut -f6` echo "zvar1 is " $zvar1 done ******************** ztest2.txt looks like: 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlwilli
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing line out of a file, please help !!

Hello, I have a file with several lines for example; I need to extract a line radiusAuthServTotalAccessRequests.0 = 0 and I don't have line #s in the file. I need to write a script to extract the above line, put a date beside it and parse this line out to another directory / file. How... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xeniya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question, parsing line by line

Hello, Im very new to PERL and as a project to work on developing my skills at PERL Im trying to parse poker hands. Ive tried many methods however I cant get the last step. $yourfile= 'FILENAME';#poker hands to parse open (FILE, "$yourfile") or die $!; @lines = <FILE>; for (@lines) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ek0
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple line parsing help

Hey everyone, I'm having trouble figuring out how to reformat the following (large) file: >Cluster 1 0 563nt, >FX2FH6V05GB01A... * 1 405nt, >FX2FH6V05F7LOL... at +/98% >Cluster 2 0 551nt, >FX2FH6V05FTLO0... at +/98% 1 561nt, >FX2FH6V05F5F1E... * 2 343nt, >FX2FH6V05GBHRK... at +/98% I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mycoguy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing file, reading each line to variable, evaluating date/time stamp of each line

So, the beginning of my script will cat & grep a file with the output directed to a new file. The data I have in this file needs to be parsed, read and evaluated. Basically, I need to identify the latest date/time stamp and then calculate whether or not it is within 15 minutes of the current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hynesward
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions for command line parsing

Hi all I need to put a command line parser together to parse numeric fields and ranges passed to a script. I'm looking for a bash function that is as elegant and simple as possible. So the input would be of the following form - 1,2,8-12 This would return - 1,2,8,9,10,11,12 Input can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file based on next line

I have a file1 like ID E2AK1_HUMAN Reviewed; 630 AA. CC -!- SUBCELLULAR LOCATION: Host nucleus {ECO:0000305}. ID E1A_ADEM1 Reviewed; 200 AA. ID E1A_ADES7 Reviewed; 266 AA. CC -!- SUBCELLULAR LOCATION: Host nucleus... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Line Perl for parsing fasta file

I would like to take a fasta file formated like >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0002 agttcgag >0003 ggtaacctga and use command line perl to move the all sample gt 8 in length to a new file. the result would be >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0003 ggtaacctga cat ${sample}.fasta | perl -lane... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
2 Replies
GETFLAGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       GETFLAGS(8)

NAME
getflags, usage - command-line parsing for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
getflags $* usage [ progname ] DESCRIPTION
Getflags parses the options in its command-line arguments according to the environment variable $flagfmt. This variable should be a list of comma-separated options. Each option can be a single letter, indicating that it does not take arguments, or a letter followed by the space-separated names of its arguments. Getflags prints an rc(1) script on standard output which initializes the environment variable $flagx for every option mentioned in $flagfmt. If the option is not present on the command-line, the script sets that option's flag vari- able to an empty list. Otherwise, the script sets that option's flag variable with a list containing the option's arguments or, if the option takes no arguments, with the string 1. The script also sets the variable $* to the list of arguments following the options. The final line in the script sets the $status variable, to the empty string on success and to the string usage when there is an error parsing the command line. Usage prints a usage message to standard error. It creates the message using $flagfmt, as described above, $args, which should contain the string to be printed explaining non-option arguments, and $0, the program name (see rc(1)). If run under sh(1), which does not set $0, the program name must be given explicitly on the command line. EXAMPLE
Parse the arguments for leak(1): flagfmt='b,s,f binary,r res,x width' args='name | pid list' if(! ifs=() eval `{getflags $*} || ~ $#* 0){ usage exit usage } SOURCE
/src/cmd/getflags.c /src/cmd/usage.c SEE ALSO
arg(3) GETFLAGS(8)