Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error Post 302246691 by zaxxon on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 06:36:19 AM
Old 10-14-2008
As Jim wrote in his example, you should let the name of the file you want to grep, out of the single quotation marks:
Code:
egrep '.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 STREET REAR)\|$' /tmp/TTV_FILE_3862.txt
                                                  ^
                                                here

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"syntax error at line 21 :'done' unexpected." error message"

I am trying to run the script bellow but its given me "syntax error at line 20 :'done' unexpected." error message" can someone check to see if the script is ok? and correct me pls. Today is my first day with scripting. Gurus should pls help out #!/bin/ksh # Purpose: Check to see if file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use the "grep/egrep" command to search files.

Hi Team, I am new to this forum and also trying to learn Unix. I will highly appriciate your help if you can help me to get the right command . {{{ I use the command " today | egrep '(10:| 11: )' | grep ERROR " to grep all the files that has been error betweeen 10 to 11... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkhanal
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep syntax error

I have a script that has been running fine for about a month - now all of a sudden I am getting a syntax error using the egrep command. The command I am using is comparing two files and printing only the unique lines from Second_File to Third_File. Any idea why I am getting the syntax error?? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep -i "(from|to)=<$1>" mail.log ?

Hi, As you can see I'm trying to get email addresses from the mail.log. This is a part of a bash shell script I found but I#m wondering how I can check the variable $1? When I try egrep -i "(from|to)=<$1>" mail.log | awk ' {print $1}' either from the command line or from a script it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kajax
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping backslash and asterisk in egrep to match "\*"

So far what i've got is egrep '^(\\)\*$'No luck. I've searched the web and not much luck. I know about the escape character \ but its confusing to figure out how to use it to match a backslash and use it to escape the asterisk also. Any ides? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with FTP Script which is causing "syntax error: unexpected end of file" Error

Hi All, Please hav a look at the below peice of script and let me know if there are any syntax errors. i found that the below peice of Script is causing issue. when i use SFTP its working fine, but there is a demand to use FTP only. please find below code and explain if anything is wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep confusion with "I" and "-I" pattern

I am executing following command egrep -w I filename.txt the filename.txt has following data .... -I 07-18 08:31:19.924 9880 6 SessionManager ConnectConfig: ConfigurationWebService LoginResults=SuccessfulLogin I am so hungry that I need to eat I expect egrep to print only the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VBG
1 Replies

9. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation around "+r" in egrep

Hi, Is anyone able to shed some light on "+r"? I know -r in grep refers to a recursive search - I am curious to know what +r specifies. #show process pidin | utility egrep -e "+r" count 2492 Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
3 Replies
ZIPGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							ZIPGREP(1)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1), zip(1), funzip(1), zipcloak(1), zipinfo(1), zipnote(1), zipsplit(1) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1)