Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to enter month name and display no. Post 302246597 by sivakumar.rj on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 03:09:36 AM
Old 10-14-2008
If ur input is irrespective of case sensitive, ie. the user may enter lower or capital letters means, then use typeset -u <parameter>. It will convert the input variable to the upper case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enter text and display on logo

Okay, lets say I have a entry field, to enter the persons name. Then I have a image of a car, and when the person hits submit on the form , the image loads and the name the person entered is displayed on the door or the car. How would I do this in a browser.could someone give me a Javascript or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

display files created in a particular month

hi, i m new to unix. I have been trying to find all the files in my home directory and its subdirectories that are created in the month of september. Can anyone please help me with this??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: t_harsha18
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

needs to display month for previous day date

Hello, I wanted to display the month for previous day date. Like, today date is 18-Nov-2008. So the previous date is 17-Nov-2008. The output should be November. If the today date is 1-DEC-2008, then output should be NOVEMBER. If the today date is 1-JAN-2008, then output should be DECEMBER.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display month for Previous day

Hello - I have one question regarding the date. I wanted to display the month name for previous day. The output should be as follows... 5-Feb-09 => February 1-Feb-09 => January 28-Feb-09=> February Here is the code i am using to get the output.... date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

display number of days in current month

hi all searched google and here, cant find and am begining to suspect there is no options for this. shell = born with either the date or cal command I need to display the number of days in current month. can anyone point me in the right direction? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rontopia
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to counting a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month etc

Hello All, I am trying to come up with a shell script to count a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month and the month before. I need to produce this report and email it to customer. Any ideas would be appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnara2
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find/display out last Friday's date of the month?

Hello, Can you please help me find/display out last Friday's date of the month using command in Unix/Linux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop logic, enter into respective IF as per enter input file name

have three big data file, however I just need to see the mentioned below one line form the all the file which has SERVER_CONNECTION Value File 1 export SERVER_CONNECTION=//dvlna002:10001/SmartServer File2 export SERVER_CONNECTION=///SmartServer File3 export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

10. Linux

Bash Display First Friday of the next month

Hello, I need to find the date of next first Friday of the month and set as a variable in a bash script ie - FIRSTFRIDAY=$(date -dfirst-friday +%d) I know date -dfirst-friday doesn't work, but unsure if I can use this / cal + awk or something else to find the right date of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerdays
7 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)