Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to display specific lines of a specific file Post 302246479 by raidkridley on Monday 13th of October 2008 07:27:55 PM
Old 10-13-2008
how to display specific lines of a specific file

are there any basic commands that can display lines 99 - 101 of the /etc/passwd file?

I'm thinking use of head and tail, but I forget what numbers to use and where to put /etc/passwd in the command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a specific format to a specific column in a text file using awk and printf

Hi, I have the following text file: 8 T1mapping_flip02 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000008-000001.dcm 9 T1mapping_flip05 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000009-000001.dcm 10 T1mapping_flip10 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000010-000001.dcm 11 T1mapping_flip15 ok 128 108 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display File with a specific letter

Hi im a noob in Unix Do you guys know what command display you the files that have the character n in there name im not looking that they have the n in the beginning or in the end im looking that in search the entire string to see if it have the character n i try this ls n* but only show... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaziduz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute a string on a specific position for specific lines

I woud like to substitue a string on a specific position for specific lines I've got a file and I would like to change a specific string from "TOCHANGE" to "ABCABCAB" For every line (except 1,2, 3 and the last one) , I need to check between the 9th and the 16th digits. For the 3rd line, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
7 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Display a specific words from a multiple lines

well, i am so not familiar with this kind of things but i am gonna explain extactly what i am looking for so hopfully someone can figure it out :) i have a command that shows memory usage besides the process name, for example(the command output): 500 kb process_1 600 kb process_2 700 kb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Specific lines when found specific character

Hello all, I have thousand file input like this: file1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ UERT | TTYH | TAFE | FRFG |$$ $$______|______|________|______|$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ 1 | DISK | TR1311 | 1 |$$ $$ 1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display specific lines content from the file

Hell, I want to grep certain word from file and display above 2 lines and after two lines. Here is the content of sample file. Mar 14, 2013 12:56:59 AM Agent.Agent SendTo INFO: Connection to server:7041 - Credential Transmit Successesful Mar 14, 2013 8:54:21 AM cgent SendTo WARNING:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies
TAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [ +-number[lbc][rf] ] [ file ] tail [ -fr ] [ -n nlines ] [ -c ncharacters ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Tail copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is copied. Copying begins at position +number measured from the beginning, or -number from the end of the input. Number is counted in lines, 1K blocks or characters, according to the appended flag or Default is -10l (ten ell). The further flag causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order; (follow) causes tail, after printing to the end, to keep watch and print further data as it appears. The second syntax is that promulgated by POSIX, where the numbers rather than the options are signed. EXAMPLES
tail file Print the last 10 lines of a file. tail +0f file Print a file, and continue to watch data accumulate as it grows. sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of a file. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tail.c BUGS
Tails relative to the end of the file are treasured up in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. According to custom, option +number counts lines from 1, and counts blocks and characters from 0. TAIL(1)