Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a line in a text file Post 302246463 by terryporter51 on Monday 13th of October 2008 05:25:24 PM
Old 10-13-2008
I'm still having trouble stripping each line out so I can put it in it's on variable or text file.
i.e. I want 10 to be in a text file or set to a variable alone
20 set to be in a text file alone or in it's on variable and
30 set to be in a text file or set to it's on variable. I really want the position of the number because the number will change depending on the number of full tapes. Sorry guy's if this sound elementary all I want to do is grab which ever line I want 1-3 on call to my discretion.

Thx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from text file based on configuration set in config file

Hi , a:) i have configuration file with pattren <Range start no>,<Range end no>,<type of records to be extracted from the data file>,<name of the file to store output> eg: myfile.confg 9899000000,9899999999,DATA,b.dat 9899000000,9899999999,SMS,a.dat b:) Stucture of my data file is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suparnbector
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific text from a file

Dear All, I have to extract a a few lines from a log file and I know the starting String and end string(WHich is same ). Is there any simplere way using sed - awk. e.g. from the following file -------------------------------------- Some text Date: 21 Oct 2008 Text to be extracted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkav
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting text and reusing the text to rename file

Hi, I have some ps files where I want to ectract/copy a certain number from and use that number to rename the ps file. eg: 'file.ps' contains following text: 14 (09 01 932688 0)t the text can be variable, the only fixed element is the '14 ('. The problem is that the fixed element can appear... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnDS
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific characters from a text file

I'm extremely new to scripting and linux in general, so please bear with me. The class I'm taking gives virtually no instruction at all, and so I'm trying to learn everything off the web. Anyway, I'm trying to extract characters that follow after a specific pattern ( '<B><FONT FACE="Arial">' ) but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livos23
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting part of a text file

Hi guys So I have a very large log file where each event is logged along with the time that it occurred. So for e.g. The contents of the file look like: ... 12:00:07 event 0 happened. 12:01:01 event 1 happened. 12:01:05 event 2 happened. 12:01:30 event 3 happened. 12:02:01 event 4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting the last column of a text file

I would like to extract the last column of a text file but different rows of the text file have different numbers of columns. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help extracting text from file

Hello I have a large file with lines beginning with 552, 553, 554, below is a small sample, I need to extract the data you can see below highlighted in bold from this file on the same location on every line and output it to a new file. Thank you in advance for any help 55201KL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting values based on line-column numbers from multiple text files

Dear All, I have to solve the following problems with multiple tab-separated text file but I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have access to Linux mint (but not as a professional). I have multiple tab-delimited files with the following structure: file1: 1 44 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting and copying text from one file to another

Helooo, So I have a .fasta file (a text file with sequence data) which looks like this, with just over 3 million lines of data. >TCONS_00000001 gene=XLOC_000001 AATTGTGGTGAAATGACTTCTGTTAACGGAGACATCGATGATTGTTGTTACTATTTGTTCTCAGGATTCA... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
8 Replies
OSASCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      OSASCRIPT(1)

NAME
osascript -- execute OSA scripts (AppleScript, JavaScript, etc.) SYNOPSIS
osascript [-l language] [-i] [-s flags] [-e statement | programfile] [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
osascript executes the given OSA script, which may be plain text or a compiled script (.scpt) created by Script Editor or osacompile(1). By default, osascript treats plain text as AppleScript, but you can change this using the -l option. To get a list of the OSA languages installed on your system, use osalang(1). osascript will look for the script in one of the following three places: 1. Specified line by line using -e switches on the command line. 2. Contained in the file specified by the first filename on the command line. This file may be plain text or a compiled script. 3. Passed in using standard input. This works only if there are no filename arguments; to pass arguments to a STDIN-read script, you must explicitly specify ``-'' for the script name. Any arguments following the script will be passed as a list of strings to the direct parameter of the ``run'' handler. For example, in AppleScript: a.scpt: on run argv return "hello, " & item 1 of argv & "." end run % osascript a.scpt world hello, world. The options are as follows: -e statement Enter one line of a script. If -e is given, osascript will not look for a filename in the argument list. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (for example, AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the statement will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -i Interactive mode: osascript will prompt for one line at a time, and print the result, if applicable, after each line. Any script sup- plied as a command argument using -e or programfile will be loaded, but not executed, before starting the interactive prompt. -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -s flags Modify the output style. The flags argument is a string consisting of any of the modifier characters e, h, o, and s. Multiple modi- fiers can be concatenated in the same string, and multiple -s options can be specified. The modifiers come in exclusive pairs; if con- flicting modifiers are specified, the last one takes precedence. The meanings of the modifier characters are as follows: h Print values in human-readable form (default). s Print values in recompilable source form. osascript normally prints its results in human-readable form: strings do not have quotes around them, characters are not escaped, braces for lists and records are omitted, etc. This is generally more useful, but can introduce ambiguities. For example, the lists '{"foo", "bar"}' and '{{"foo", {"bar"}}}' would both be displayed as 'foo, bar'. To see the results in an unambiguous form that could be recompiled into the same value, use the s modifier. e Print script errors to stderr (default). o Print script errors to stdout. osascript normally prints script errors to stderr, so downstream clients only see valid results. When running automated tests, how- ever, using the o modifier lets you distinguish script errors, which you care about matching, from other diagnostic output, which you don't. SEE ALSO
osacompile(1), osalang(1), AppleScript Language Guide HISTORY
osascript in Mac OS X 10.0 would translate ' ' characters in the output to ' ' and provided c and r modifiers for the -s option to change this. osascript now always leaves the output alone; pipe through tr(1) if necessary. Prior to Mac OS X 10.4, osascript did not allow passing arguments to the script. Mac OS X April 24, 2014 Mac OS X