Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gzip files as they are created Post 302246364 by cfajohnson on Monday 13th of October 2008 12:34:15 PM
Old 10-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenhorn
Code:
gzip_func() {
started=0
threads=4
for filename in `ls -1 ${EXP_DIR}/*.dmp`

Not only is -1 unnecessary, but so is ls itself. Also, ls will break your script if there are any spaces in the filenames.

Code:
for filename in ${EXP_DIR}/*.dmp

Quote:
Code:
do
 if [[ ${started} -lt ${threads} ]]; then
  let started=started+1

Use standard syntax:

Code:
 if [ ${started} -lt ${threads} ]; then
 started=$(( $started + 1 ))

Quote:
Code:
  echo "gzip ${filename}"
  ( $GZIPCMD ${filename} ) &

Quote the variable, or your script will break if there are spaces in the filename (and there's no need for the parentheses):

Code:
  $GZIPCMD "$filename" &

Quote:
Code:
  list_of_pids="${list_of_pids} $!"
 else
  print "wait ${list_of_pids}"
  wait ${list_of_pids}
  list_of_pids=""
  started=0
 fi
done
}
my_binary_file_creation_process
while [ `find ${EXP_DIR} -name \*.dmp|wc -l` -gt "0" ]; do

What wrong with:

[code]
for
Quote:
Code:
 gzip_func
 print "wait ${list_of_pids}"
 wait ${list_of_pids}
 list_of_pids=""
done

Can anyone help me write some code for this using standard solaris 8/9/10 tools using the korn shell. Perl commands should be possible (vers 5.6.1 installed).

Your code looks far more complicated than it needs to be.

It's not clear from your code how you tell whether a file is finished being written to so that you can compress it.

Do you have any control over the process that is writing the binary files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip, multiple files

Hello Everyone, Here is what I am trying to do. I have four text files, I want to gzip them under unix and mail the zipped file via outlook. I am able to do this easily enough, but using winzip or pkunzip to unzip the file, there is only one file. (In essence, all four files were... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smbodnar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to gzip LARGE files

The windows version of gzip supports pretty much unlimited file sizes while the one we have in solaris only goes up to a set size, one or two gigs I think. Is there a new version of gzip I can put on our systems that supports massive file sizes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip all the files in a directory

Hi, There are multiple files in a directory with different names.How can they be gzipped such that the timestamp of the files is not changed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unzip particular gzip files among the normal data files

Hello experts, I run Solaris 9. I have a below script which is used for gunzip the thousand files from a directory. ---- #!/usr/bin/sh cd /home/thousands/gzipfiles/ for i in `ls -1` do gunzip -c $i > /path/to/file/$i done ---- In my SAME directory there thousand of GZIP file and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip the files with particular extension

Is there any way to compress only the files with .xml extension within a folder which in turn has many sub folders? gzip -r9 path/name/*.xml is not working This compression is done in the Windows server using Batch script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip files with extension

Hi, I have 1000 of files in a folder with the file extension as .csv In this some of the files are already zipped and its looks like filename.csv.gz Now i need to zip all the files in the folder to free some disk space. When i give gzip *.csv It prompts me to overwrite filename.csv.gz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokiak810
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gzip files - Excluded directories

Hi, I am using the commande line find . -name "*.nc" -type f -exec gzip -v {} \; to zip all files with the extension " *.nc " in all directories. But I am looking for a way to excluded some directories as the command will recursively check all of them. If somone can help me with some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip files

Hi Guys, I am using RHEL5 and Solaris 9 & 10. I want to tar and gzip my files then remove them after a successful tar command... Lets say I have files with extension .arc then I want to tar and gzip these files. After successful tar command I want to remove all these files (i.e .arc). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing the file name and no of records in each files for the files created on a specific day

Hi, I want to display the file names and the record count for the files in the 2nd column for the files created today. i have written the below command which is listing the file names. but while piping the above command to the wc -l command its not working for me. ls -l... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
5 Replies