Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Access process memory from kernel space Post 302246055 by techlinux on Sunday 12th of October 2008 01:55:54 PM
Old 10-12-2008
Need more information

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Kernel use of real memory

Hello AIX gurues... In order to present the statistics of real memory usage I need to know how much real memory is used by the AIX 5L kernel. No the exact figures of course but some close to the reality. The AIX is running in a 7GB real machine, it has a HACMP configuration and my concern is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniels
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux

Hellp all, if there is 3G memory in my Unix server I want to know if all the 3G space can be used by ong sigle process. As i know, in Windows, one process can only access at most 1G memory despite there is probably more than 1G memory is equipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Revoke Kernel Access..

Hi, I need to know how to revoke the access/permission of Kernel for a group. In details, one of the group 'X' is having kernel access/permission and this group can control the Kernel at anytime. How can we revoke this permission/access ? Thanks, Rohit.. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronix007
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2990

There is a tomcat webserver running that is used to host a java application. Sometime the service goes down with error logs. I see the following error messages in /var/log/messages: kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2990 (co). Out of Memory: Killed process 25671 (httpd) Out of Memory:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can kernel process access user address space ?

Can kernel process access user address space ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel giving access for multiple users to access files

hi all, i want to know y kernel is giving access for multiple users to access a file when one user may be the owner is executing that file. Because other user can manipulate that file when the other user is executing that file, it will give the unexpected result to owner . plz help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

CPU and memory utilization of a process, by process name

Can someone please help me with a script that will help in identifying the CPU & memory usage by a process name, rather than a process id.This is to primarily analyze the consumption of resources, for performance tweaking. G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

9. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Process holding /tmp space, need to know the process details

Hi , In a server /tmp has almost reached 75% and i can see the File system utilization is 48Mb only , so i believe some process is using the /tmp space. I would like to know which process is using /tmp space. # df -h /tmp Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on swap ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies
KSYMS(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  KSYMS(4)

NAME
ksyms -- kernel symbol table interface SYNOPSIS
device ksyms DESCRIPTION
The /dev/ksyms character device provides a read-only interface to a snapshot of the kernel symbol table. The in-kernel symbol manager is designed to be able to handle many types of symbols tables, however, only elf(5) symbol tables are supported by this device. The ELF format image contains two sections: a symbol table and a corresponding string table. Symbol Table The SYMTAB section contains the symbol table entries present in the current running kernel, including the symbol table entries of any loaded modules. The symbols are ordered by the kernel module load time starting with kernel file symbols first, followed by the first loaded module's symbols and so on. String Table The STRTAB section contains the symbol name strings from the kernel and any loaded modules that the symbol table entries refer- ence. Elf formatted symbol table data read from the /dev/ksyms file represents the state of the kernel at the time when the device is opened. Since /dev/ksyms has no text or data, most of the fields are initialized to NULL. The ksyms driver does not block the loading or unloading of modules into the kernel while the /dev/ksyms file is open but may contain stale data. IOCTLS
The ioctl(2) command codes below are defined in <sys/ksyms.h>. The (third) argument to the ioctl(2) should be a pointer to the type indicated. KIOCGSIZE (size_t) Returns the total size of the current symbol table. This can be used when allocating a buffer to make a copy of the kernel symbol table. KIOCGADDR (void *) Returns the address of the kernel symbol table mapped in the process memory. FILES
/dev/ksyms ERRORS
An open(2) of /dev/ksyms will fail if: [EBUSY] The device is already open. A process must close /dev/ksyms before it can be opened again. [ENOMEM] There is a resource shortage in the kernel. [ENXIO] The driver was unsuccessful in creating a snapshot of the kernel symbol table. This may occur if the kernel was in the process of loading or unloading a module. SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), nlist(3), elf(5), kldload(8) HISTORY
A ksyms device exists in many different operating systems. This implementation is similar in function to the Solaris and NetBSD ksyms driver. The ksyms driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0 to support lockstat(1). AUTHORS
The ksyms driver was written by Stacey Son <sson@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Because files can be dynamically linked into the kernel at any time the symbol information can vary. When you open the /dev/ksyms file, you have access to an ELF image which represents a snapshot of the state of the kernel symbol information at that instant in time. Keeping the device open does not block the loading or unloading of kernel modules. To get a new snapshot you must close and re-open the device. A process is only allowed to open the /dev/ksyms file once at a time. The process must close the /dev/ksyms before it is allowed to open it again. The ksyms driver uses the calling process' memory address space to store the snapshot. ioctl(2) can be used to get the memory address where the symbol table is stored to save kernel memory. mmap(2) may also be used but it will map it to another address. BSD
April 5, 2009 BSD