Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multi-network question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multi-network question Post 302245823 by mik on Saturday 11th of October 2008 07:45:39 AM
Old 10-11-2008
Question multi-network question

Hi,
I have a linux machine connected to 2 networks, with devices eth0 and eth1.
When I give the command host whatever, how do I now which network is searched for the DNS's ? Is there a default ethernet device for network related commands ? How do I change it ? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network question

Hey, Just need a little help I'm not sure wat I should do. We have several little networks setup for testing different things. One of these networks we need to have running at full dulpex. Right now we run 2 hubs (to go off to 2 differnt parts) and they are half dulpex hubs. Is is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi Network card interface problem

My system info is show below:- #uname -a SunOS qfserver 5.8 Generic_117350-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 and I have two network card as shown below:- #ifconfig -a lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarifudin
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

network question

Hi here is my question; any help would be appreciated The Linux system pokey has two Ethernet cards. The first Ethernet card is connected to a companywide TCP/IP network covering the addresses 87.65.43.xx, where pokey's address is 87.65.43.21. The second Ethernet interface is connected to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scofiled83
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Network question

Folks; I have 2 SUSE servers similar in all configuration & both on the same network (192.168.151.10 & 192.168.151.11) with the same default gateway of 192.168.151.1 and the same netmask of 255.255.255.0 and the same firewall configuration the first one works fine and i can ssh to it & i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

5. Programming

Question About Multi-Processed Applications... fork()

Assume we have an application built on *nix that uses fork()...then the processes procedure is going to act as follow: X is considered a parent process (first click on application) Y is considered a child process of X (second click on application) Z is considered a child process of Y (third... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Backup and multi Path network

Dear All I have three site in multi city and have in three site ADSL connection with Fixed IP and three Connection leased line (VHSDSL) and and the primary connection it's VHSDSL and BAckup up connection ADSL So can i use IPMP in solaris OS 10 in three Site to have this Service in three Site... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hosam
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

DHCP Server on Vxworks multi interface question

Hi, We currently operate a DHCP Server on Vxworks system. It seems that the server is functioning only over the boot interface. While trying to use it on a different interface the DHCP client messages seems to reach the interface but stay without response. From a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zohara
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substract selective values in multi row, multi column file (using awk or sed?)

Hi, I have a problem where I need to make this input: nameRow1a,text1a,text2a,floatValue1a,FloatValue2a,...,floatValue140a nameRow1b,text1b,text2b,floatValue1b,FloatValue2b,...,floatValue140b look like this output: nameRow1a,text1b,text2a,(floatValue1a - floatValue1b),(floatValue2a -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nricardo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xml multi parse question

awk -F "" '/<Id>|<id>|<Source>|<source>|<Accession>|<accession>|<TestName>|<testname>/ {print $2, $3}' OFS='\t' Test.xml The above code works great, but lets say I wanted the <Analyte> name (<Name>STAT3). The word <name> is unique so there will be multiple records pulled. Is there a way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-table iptables Question

I have a question regarding IPTables packet flow, that I am hoping I can get an answer to. We have a fairly advanced implementation of IPTables that I am trying to convert into a third party product and I am not quite certain on the packet flow in the current IPTables implementation. We are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knightfirefx
2 Replies
timed(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  timed(8)

NAME
timed - The network time daemon SYNOPSIS
timed [-tME] [-n | -i network] FLAGS
Specifies the names of the networks (as defined in the /etc/networks file) to be excluded from clock synchronization. Each network name that is an argument to the -i flag is added to the list of networks that the timed daemon will ignore. If the -i flag is used, timed accesses all networks to which the host is connected except for the specified networks. If neither the -i flag nor the -n flag is used, timed tries to access all the network devices connected to the local host. Do not use the -i and -n flags together. Specifies that a machine can become the time server if the master time server becomes inoperative. See the Restrictions section for more information. Overrides the input of slaves. Use the -E flag in conjunction with the -M flag. It specifies that a master timed system will not average the times of the slaves to calculate the network time. Instead, it distributes the time of its local host as the network time. This flag allows a master timed system to distribute time to a network while the network time is controlled by an outside agent (such as the Network Time Protocol (NTP)). Specifies the names of the networks (as defined in the /etc/networks file) to be included in clock synchronization. When timed is started, it gathers information about all the network devices connected to the local host. The network argument to the -n flag is the name of the network that timed should access. If the -n flag is used, only the specified networks are accessed. If neither the -n flag nor the -i flag is used, timed tries to access all the network devices connected to the local host. Do not use the -n and -i flags together. Enables tracing of messages received in /usr/adm/timed.log. DESCRIPTION
The timed daemon is not invoked at boot time by default. You can use /usr/sbin/timedsetup to configure the timed daemon. The timed daemon synchronizes the host's clock with those of other machines on the local area network that are also running the timed dae- mon. The timed daemon slows the clocks of some machines and speeds up the clocks on other machines to create an average network time. The average network time is computed from measurements of clock differences using the Internet Control Message Protocol ICMP timestamp request message. The service provided by timed is based on a master/slave (client/server) scheme. When timed is started on a machine, it asks the master timed daemon for the network time and sets the host's clock to that time. After that, the host accepts synchronization messages periodi- cally sent by the master and calls the adjtime system call to perform the needed corrections on the host's clock. The timed daemon also communicates with the date command to set the date globally, and with timedc, the timed control program. If the machine running the master ceases to function, a machine that is running the timed daemon with the -M flag becomes the new master timed daemon. Note The timed daemon is provided for compatibility. Tru64 UNIX also provides support for the Network Time Protocol through the xntpd daemon. You should use NTP for time synchronization. If you need to run both NTP and the timed daemon, you must run the timed daemon with the -E flag. If you plan to run both the timed daemon and NTP, you should also configure NTP first. RESTRICTIONS
In configurations with two or more hosts each connected to the same two or more subnetworks, only one of the host can run the timed with the -M option. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains messages traced for the timed command Contains information about the known networks RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: date(1), timedc(8), timedsetup(8) Daemons: xntpd(8) Functions: adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2) delim off timed(8)