Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Which debugger is appropriate for the executalbe file compiled with make? Post 302245807 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 11th of October 2008 05:25:16 AM
Old 10-11-2008
you have to use gcc -g

to get the compiler to include symbols for the debugger. Plus the source code has to be in the same directory as the executable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiled Compiler

I've got Solaris9 and it comes with no compiler. I've downloaded gcc from GNU, but you can't compile the files without the compiler (chicken before the egg situation). Some sites point to an ftp site of ftp.ai.prep.mit.edu where a compiled version of the GNU gcc exists, but when I have gone there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJA
3 Replies

2. Programming

dbx error ("Executable contains object file compiled on ...")

Hi, We are trying to run dbx on a core file for which we have the original executable and libs, but not the source / object tree. We have recompiled the objects from the original source, but dbx complains that they were compiled at a different time, and refuses to read them: Object file:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
0 Replies

3. Programming

How to debug C source file using GVD debugger

Anyone pls. help !!! I want to debug C source file using GVD debugger. However, I am unable to find the way to debug source files. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: argupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

looking for different debugger for Solaris or to make sunstudio faster

im using the sunstudio but it is very slow , is there ant other GUI debugger for sun Solaris or at list some ways to make it faster ? im using to debug throw telnet connection connected to remote server thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

5. Programming

Can C determine which OS it's being compiled on?

Hello all! I've searched the archives, google, documentation and I can't seem to find any answer regarding my question. Our code has to be lint free and due to the following lint warning ---> logical expression always true: op "||" <--- we are forced to #include <note.h > (which appears to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quattro20v
3 Replies

6. Programming

makeutility: how to get the make-file name inside of the make-file?

How I can get the current make-file name in a make-file So, if I run make with specified file:make -f target.mak is it possible to have the 'target' inside of the that 'target.mak' from the file name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Viewing a compiled executable file

I've got a executable binary file (source code fortran77, compiled using gfortran). I'm not sure this is even possible but I remember someone I knew was able to view the source code that created this binary file, i.e. he used a program that enabled him to see what the source code was. Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

8. Programming

Alternative debugger to GNU insight debugger

GNU insight debugger is not available now a days and it is required to debug/inspect assembly code as written in the book Assembly Language Programming step by step in Linux so my question is; is there any alternative to insight that I can use instead of insight in which I can get the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make sure kernel was compiled with NFS server support

Hi there, I have a Debian Squeeze server. How can I check if my kernel was compiled with NFS server support? Extra question: if it is not, how do I enable NFS support in my kernel? Thanks for your help. Santiago (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

10. Linux

Is it possible to insert compile module after compiled "make" without installing

Hi gud day, I would like to ask if possible to load the driver i compiled module without installing it in the ubuntu-kernel-distro/updates* or simple not executing "make install". what i mean is i compile the compat wireless driver using make and i want to try to load on the system without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
1 Replies
FORT77(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 FORT77(1)

NAME
fort77 - invoke f2c Fortran translator transparently, like a compiler SYNOPSIS
fort77 [-c] [-g] [-v] [-k] [-P] [-cpp] [f2c option ...] [-L directory ...] [gcc-option ...] [link option ...] [-O optlevel] [-o out- file] [-s] [-w] [-Wx,arg1[,arg2]...] file ... DESCRIPTION
The fort77 script invokes the f2c command transparently, so it can be used like a real Fortran compiler. It can be used to compile For- tran, C and assembler code, and to link it with the f2c libraries. File arguments ending with .f are compiled as Fortran source files. Files which end with .P are passed through to f2c, and files ending with .F are passed to the C preprocessor (invoked as "/lib/cpp -traditional") first. Any switches passed via -D will be passed to the pre- processor. If the translation is successful, the resulting C files will be passed to cc for translation into an object file. Files ending in .c, .C, .cc, .i, .s, .S, .m, .cc or .cxx are passed to the GNU C compiler directly; see gcc(1). All other files are passed to the linker. OPTIONS
-c Supress linking and produce an object ( .o ) file from each source file. -g Include debugging information. -v Be verbose; supplying this twice will also tell the C compilers etc to be verbose. -k Keep the C files generated by f2c around. -cpp Pass Fortran code through the C preprocessor, as if filenames ended in .F. -P Generate f2c .P files. -Ldirectory Include directory in the search for libraries in the final linking stage. -o outfile Send output to outfile. -trapuv Have f2c generate code to trap uninitialized values. -Wx,arg1[,arg2...] Pass the argument[s] argi through to the subprocess x, where x can assume one of the following values: f for the f2c step, p for the preprocessing step, c for the C compiler, a for the assembler (this is actually passed to the C compiler, too), and l for the linker. As an example, defining a preprocessor constant for the C compilation step would be done with -Wc,-DUNIX=1. Specifying the -f option to f2c would be done via -Wf,-f. f2c option fort77 passes through almost all f2c options: -C, -U, -u, -a, -E, -h, -P, -R, -r, -z, -I2, -I4, -onetrip, -!c, -!l, -!P, -!R, -ext, -!bs, -W[n], -trapuv, -w8, -r8 and -w66. gcc options The following options are passed through to gcc: -f*, -W*, -U*, -A*, -m*, -S, -E, -v, -x, -pipe, -o, -I, -V, -b*, -p, -pg. linker option The options passed to the linking stage are -static, -shared, -v, -V, and -symbolic. BUGS
To make debugging work, you need to set a breakpoint at MAIN__ before you start. f2c This script automatically supplies the -I. option to f2c. Older versions of f2c may not support this. This script is for the interaction of gcc and f2c; using it with another compiler will probably require modification. The fort77 script does not strictly conform to Posix.2, because it acceppts long options with one leading slash. This is done for gcc com- patibility. SEE ALSO
f2c(1), cc(1), as(1), ld(1) AUTHOR
Thomas Koenig, ig25@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de Linux Nov 1996 FORT77(1)