Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting Column to Rows in a Flat file Post 302245402 by srinikal on Friday 10th of October 2008 04:19:52 AM
Old 10-10-2008
I actually didn't mean it ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

i have single column which is starting with same string(many number of rows) i have to convert each into a single row.how can i do that? laknar std mes 23 55 laknar isd phone no address amount 99 I have to convert above like below. laknar|std|mes|23|55 laknar|isd|phone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a flat file in XML

Hello Friends, I am new to UNIX shell scripting. Using bash....Could you please help me in converting a flat file into an XML style output file. Flat file: (Input File entries looks like this) John Miller: 617-569-7996:15 Bunting lane, staten Island, NY: 10/21/79: 60600 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting the date format in a flat file

Hi All, I am new to this forum, could any one help me out in resolving the below issue. Input of the flat file contains several lines of text for example find below: 5022090,2,4,7154,88,,,,,4/1/2011 0:00,Z,L,2 5022090,3,1,6648,88,,,,,4/1/2011 0:00,Z,,1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_sagar
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Audit Flat File - # of Columns / Rows

We receive a file which usually has 40 to 50 million rows. I want to set up an audit process by which everytime we receive a file we audit it for # of rows and total number of columns. So if the # of rows is around 1 million on a particular day, I want to raise a flag or send an email....and if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting entries from rows to column

Hi all, I need your help on a multiple row entry into different columns. And do the same with all the entries in file. File example (showing 2 entries only, there are many like these): >ABC * AGA-AUUCUC-CGGUUCAAUCU ||| UCUAUAACCGCGCCGAGUUAGU >ABC * AGAUAU-GCUGCAGGCUCAAUUG ||||||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting XML to Flat file

Hi Friends, I want to convert a XML file to flat file. Sample I/p: <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?> <DataFile xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' contactCount='4999' date='2012-04-14' time='22:00:14' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='gen .xsd'> <Contact... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting rows to column

i have output of script as below name,roll_no,01-05-12,02-05-12,03-05-12 sam,12,24,24,24 jon,145,24,24,22 van,29,24,22,24 i want to convert these into columns as output is not fixed please tell me how to convert 1st row in to 1st columns likewise,as many rows are there are to be converted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting column to rows for every 3 lines in the column

Hi gurus! Please help me with this one. I have an file with the following contents: a b c d e f g h i j I would like to make to transform it to look like this as my output file: a,b,c d,e,f (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

Hi .. anyone can you help me ? i need to convert text below into multiple columns interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0 description; TRUNK_PE-D2-JT2-VPN_Gi0/0/0/0_TO_ME4-A-JKT-JT_4/1/1_1G mtu 9212 negotiation auto interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0.11 description; tes encapsulation;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad3linux
1 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)