Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix script to detect new file entry in directory Post 302245347 by james_1984 on Friday 10th of October 2008 02:00:23 AM
Old 10-10-2008
Hi,

I think this command will only give me the last file came to directory.

But, consider scenario when at same time more than 1 file came to directory. This command will not consider other files .

Further can i write this command in script and execute that script continuously ?

Do anybody has script wrtten for it ?

Thanks a lot for replying.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: (Note: The symbol " was added to stop them being created into links) "www.google.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROFL
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: www.google.com www.facebook.com www.google.com the output should be: www.google.com x2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to delete this file/directory/entry

Hello UNIX gurus, I noticed this file or whatever in one of our directories, and somehow I am not able to proceed with my work, without deleting this one. .insert--- 1 siebload intrface 0 Feb 22 01:25 Testfile I am confused, as it doesnt appear to be a file, and on doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppathak1234
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to detect a file from inserted usb and puts into a Variable

There is a same named log file that I have on my 2 different android phones. When I plug it into my computer, it appears in the media folder, For example the first android phone: /media/F6BA-0AF5/folder/A.log I want to put that into a variable to be manipulated.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tobenguyen
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add each entry in an unix file?

Hi, I've a data file having entries like this- $ cat BDWL.out 19571 349484 18963 349568 20180 351389 20372 350253 Now I want to add each entry and produce the final sum =1479780 as output. How can I do that using unix shell scripting?? using loop or sed/awk ?? Thanks, Naresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to detect dynamic ip change and update to config file

Hi All, I am newbie here and request your assistance. I have a service running on public ip, but since I have a dynamic IP it keeps on changing and every time I need to manually get the new ip and add to the config file and restart the service. This has become bit time consuming. Hence, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaan_Shaan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find if any new entry in directory

I require a shell script to find if any new entry of dump files present in a particular directory and to send an email if any new entry exists.I had a crontab to run the script for every 5 min. Below are the file names.dump.20150327.152407.12058630.0002.phd.gz... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to detect specific string in a log file and count it

Hello, can someone guide me on this? I don't know what is the best approach, (awk script, shell script) I am using RedHat Linux version 6.5. There is a third party application deployed on that server. This app by default generates 5 log files and each file is 20MB. These log rollover... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktisbest
5 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. If the init script file does not exist, the script tries to use legacy actions. If there is no suitable legacy action found and COMMAND is one of actions specified in LSB Core Specification, input is redirected to the systemctl. Otherwise the command fails with return code 2. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
chkconfig(8), ntsysv(8), systemd(1), systemctl(8), systemd.service(5) Jan 2006 service(8)