Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: subtracting variables in ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting subtracting variables in ksh Post 302245310 by a2156z on Thursday 9th of October 2008 09:23:08 PM
Old 10-09-2008
((spaces=40-count))
a2156z

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtracting Variables which are commands

I have this idea. I have a variable for the start of someones log in time, (start=`who am i | cut -c30-34`) and a variable for the log out time or present time, (end=`date | cut -c12-16`) but how do I go about subtracting them to get the total log in time. I've tried adding a another variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in ksh

I'm new to unix scripting. How would I go about pulling the first 3 characters from a variable in ksh and storing in another variable? Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve6368
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ksh - Env. Variables ??

Hey all, I have been using Ksh and in that I am setting Environment variables. To set Env. Variables I have created my own file "BuildScript.sh" in which i have written : export CLASSPATH=/somedir/some other dir/file:. export PATH=/some dir/file:. But when i am calling this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed in ksh

Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh. My goal is to get particular data from log files. first i put a mark to the log files. echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09 then i put the mark... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.anggrianto
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve NL in Ksh variables?

I'm trying to set a variable to the output of a command. This is what the comand output to the display looks like: />hciconndump -v TOsiu Dump of connection(s): TOsiu ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Process: A60Tsiu Connection: TOsiu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two variables in ksh

I can't believe I can't figure this out... given this code: CARS_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file1 | awk '{print $1}' ` FMSA_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file2 | awk '{print $1}' ` The value of each of the above variables is: CARS = a b c d e f g FMSA = a b c q r s I want to declare a third... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - for loop with variables

Hi, I 'm trying to send an e-mail for every different line in the .txt for i in {1..$variable} do sed -n "/$i$/p" text.txt done I have two problems about this. First one is that for loop doesn't work and the second one is that i cant get the output of sed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating variables in KSH

Hi Friends , I want to know how to format the output for the following: i searched in the forum and couldnt get the exact requirement. Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies
FOLD(1) 							   User Commands							   FOLD(1)

NAME
fold - wrap each input line to fit in specified width SYNOPSIS
fold [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Wrap input lines in each FILE (standard input by default), writing to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes count bytes rather than columns -c, --characters count characters rather than columns -s, --spaces break at spaces -w, --width=WIDTH use WIDTH columns instead of 80 --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report fold translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for fold is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and fold programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'fold invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 FOLD(1)