Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LVM restore / recovery
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory LVM restore / recovery Post 302245158 by otheus on Thursday 9th of October 2008 01:21:44 PM
Old 10-09-2008
lvm RAID-1 recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zburatorul
No, I haven't done anything to it.

But how exactly do I mount lvm volumes without them being in a group? Does mounting do anything to the underlying devices as you ask?
No, I don't think so, unless you also striped across partitions. But I'm far from certain. The safe thing to do is go to the physical partiitions and try to fsck them with -n:

fsck -n /dev/hd3a

or whatever. Keep trying different superblocks until you get a hit. Also try LinuxQuestions.org, but make sure you direct your question to an advanced forum.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM recovery, Hard disk broken

Hi I am new on your forum, because I need some help. I have a server with debian and proxmox 2. The HardDisk is broken. I am in rescue mode, and I can't mount LVM partition to recover my backups. What I've already done : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes 255... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pppplu
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - restore metadata on other disk

Hi guys, I would like to ask your opinion about my theory, how to fix my broken LVM without risking any data loss. I use Archlinux at home. I just love this distro, even it gives me a lots of work (particularly after system updates). Basic system spec: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lyynxxx
1 Replies

7. Linux

LVM VG recovery

Hi all, I been trying to recover a volume group of single PV. vgcfgrestore output # vgcfgrestore vgoraData Couldn't find device with uuid 'a3onP5-RdbR-fdgq-sDkS-ZtFs-83Q5-kFJj43'. Cannot restore Volume Group vgoraData with 1 PVs marked as missing. Restore failed. fdisk output ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies
fsck.xfs(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  fsck.xfs(8)

NAME
fsck.xfs - do nothing, successfully SYNOPSIS
fsck.xfs [ filesys ... ] DESCRIPTION
fsck.xfs is called by the generic Linux fsck(8) program at startup to check and repair an XFS filesystem. XFS is a journaling filesystem and performs recovery at mount(8) time if necessary, so fsck.xfs simply exits with a zero exit status. If you wish to check the consistency of an XFS filesystem, or repair a damaged or corrupt XFS filesystem, see xfs_check(8) and xfs_repair(8). FILES
/etc/fstab. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fstab(5), xfs(5), xfs_check(8), xfs_repair(8). fsck.xfs(8)