Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How can I get a processor's CPU Percentage? Post 302245051 by Kosala on Thursday 9th of October 2008 08:28:44 AM
Old 10-09-2008
I believe this is similar to what you read in /proc/stat on Linux. In Linux, you can read the timer ticks spent on user, system and IO, IRQ etc using /proc/stat. But you need to calculate the CPU % by adding the total time spent against each category. Generally following is a common approach. If you look at source of procps (vmstat.c) you might be able to get an idea how it's done on Linux.

All CPU = User + System + Idle time

User CPU % = User / All CPU * 100%

System CPU % = System / All CPU * 100%

But you have to check where you can place pr_cutime and pr_cstime. It looks like it's part of User time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU's

I have a question. Is Linux (Redhat 7.2 specifically) set up to run better/faster on a Pentium cpu vs. an AMD? The reason I ask is, I have a PIII 733 w/512 pc133, and a 4mb video card at work, and an AMD 1.4 w/1gb ddr, and a Radeon 64mb DDR at home, and the PIII at work runs a lot faster. I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

4. AIX

CPU Processor ID

Hallo, does anybody knows a trick to change the Processor ID in AIX 4.3.3. Thanks a lot (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: UXNI
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get percentage cpu from pid

Hi all, I need a script that will check the cpu usage of a certain process and then kill the process if the % cpu is greater than 25%. I know i can get the pid of a process by doing pidof <processname>. Once I have the pid number is there a command in bash to return the current % cpu? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with bash script - Need to get CPU usage as a percentage

I'm writing a bash script to log some selections from a sensors output (core temp, mb temp, etc.) and I would also like to have the current cpu usage as a percentage. I have no idea how to go about getting it in a form that a bash script can use. For example, I would simply look in the output of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total Percentage CPU usage

Hi, How can I find total CPU usage in percentage? e.g. if my system has 8 CPUs and I want to list total usage for all of them, is it possible through a command? I have tried some of the commands like top, mpstat, sar. The output of those commands has to be manipulated to derive the percentage... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
14 Replies

8. Hardware

Nodes/Processor/CPU's/threads/packages

Hello, can anyone explain me this jargon "Nodes/Processor/CPU's/threads/packages":confused: and what's the relation between these, I need to work on a cluster and I can not figure out the terminology. Thanks! any good link to read about these would also be very helpful Thanks! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nonothing
1 Replies

9. Solaris

CPU/processor/cores in M4000

Hi Gurus Can someone help me in explaining the below outputs . psrinfo -p 4 /usr/sbin/psrinfo -pv The physical processor has 4 virtual processors (0-3) SPARC64-VI (portid 1024 impl 0x6 ver 0x93 clock 2150 MHz) The physical processor has 4 virtual processors (8-11) SPARC64-VI... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Capture PRSTAT based on CPU usage percentage

Hi, Recently i have write a simple script to capture CPU high usage based on prstat but i found out that it did capture correctly. I need to capture the rows that contains CPU usage more than 3%. Below line which i thought will capture CPU usage based CPU column in prstat(9th parameter) which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
3 Replies
MPSTAT(1)							Linux User's Manual							 MPSTAT(1)

NAME
mpstat - Report processors related statistics. SYNOPSIS
mpstat [ -A ] [ -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } ] [ -u ] [ -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } ] [ -V ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
The mpstat command writes to standard output activities for each available processor, processor 0 being the first one. Global average activities among all processors are also reported. The mpstat command can be used both on SMP and UP machines, but in the latter, only global average activities will be printed. If no activity has been selected, then the default report is the CPU utilization report. The interval parameter specifies the amount of time in seconds between each report. A value of 0 (or no parameters at all) indicates that processors statistics are to be reported for the time since system startup (boot). The count parameter can be specified in conjunction with the interval parameter if this one is not set to zero. The value of count determines the number of reports generated at interval sec- onds apart. If the interval parameter is specified without the count parameter, the mpstat command generates reports continuously. OPTIONS
-A This option is equivalent to specifying -I ALL -u -P ALL -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } Report interrupts statistics. With the SUM keyword, the mpstat command reports the total number of interrupts per processor. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. intr/s Show the total number of interrupts received per second by the CPU or CPUs. With the CPU keyword, the number of each individual interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. With the SCPU keyword, the number of each individual software interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. This option works only with kernels 2.6.31 and later. The ALL keyword is equivalent to specifying all the keywords above and therefore all the interrupts statistics are displayed. -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } Indicate the processor number for which statistics are to be reported. cpu is the processor number. Note that processor 0 is the first processor. The ON keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for every online processor, whereas the ALL keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for all processors. -u Report CPU utilization. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. %usr Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level (application). %nice Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority. %sys Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the system level (kernel). Note that this does not include time spent servicing hardware and software interrupts. %iowait Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle during which the system had an outstanding disk I/O request. %irq Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service hardware interrupts. %soft Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service software interrupts. %steal Show the percentage of time spent in involuntary wait by the virtual CPU or CPUs while the hypervisor was servicing another virtual processor. %guest Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to run a virtual processor. %idle Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle and the system did not have an outstanding disk I/O request. Note: On SMP machines a processor that does not have any activity at all is a disabled (offline) processor. -V Print version number then exit. ENVIRONMENT
The mpstat command takes into account the following environment variable: S_TIME_FORMAT If this variable exists and its value is ISO then the current locale will be ignored when printing the date in the report header. The mpstat command will use the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD) instead. EXAMPLES
mpstat 2 5 Display five reports of global statistics among all processors at two second intervals. mpstat -P ALL 2 5 Display five reports of statistics for all processors at two second intervals. BUGS
/proc filesystem must be mounted for the mpstat command to work. Only a few activities are given by the Linux kernel for each processor. FILES
/proc contains various files with system statistics. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sar(1), pidstat(1), iostat(1), vmstat(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux AUGUST 2011 MPSTAT(1)