Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RHEL Security Patches
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL Security Patches Post 302245031 by otheus on Thursday 9th of October 2008 07:33:39 AM
Old 10-09-2008
You don't need to update all of them, but often one patch will require a greater version of another module, requiring an upgrade of that too.

As far as which are the most important? I can't tell you. If RedHat decides something is "Critical" or a "High" security risk, the best policy to Cover Your Ass (CYA) is to update it.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Security or Necessary patches

Hi All, I would like to ask some questions, I have an Solaris 10 and RHEL which is install in separate machine.. The question is: 1. how can I check the latest patches or latest update in my machine? (I need a step or command) 2. where can I get the latest security patch or necessary patch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux security patches

Hi all, :) I'm quite new with installation of security patches in Linux Redhat Enterprise, here's my question. I have 2 machine of this RHEL(never patch before) since it never connects directly to the internet(block by firewall) and I want to update the patches now because my boss asked me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flekzout
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Roll back patches for RHEL 5

Hi, I want to roll back the packages that are installed during the patch installation of RHEL 5 server. There are in all 110 packages including the kernel package... kernel-2.6.18-274.el5.x86_64.rpm kernel-headers-2.6.18-274.el5.x86_64.rpm How should I proceed ? I don't want to run rpm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Regarding application of security patches RHEL 5.5

Hi Is there a direct way to apply a particular security advisory on the system. Presently we have certain security advisories to be applied which require installation of multiple rpms and their dependencies. These rpms as listed in the security advisory also mention that they have been... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapanvas
0 Replies

5. AIX

List of Installed patches for AIX from given set of patches

I need to find out list of installed patches from given list of patches. I have tried using instfix -f <File containing list of patches> -i -c But I was not able to understand the output of this command. It was like below. bos.perf.tools: :0.0.0.0:?: bos.rte.libc: :0.0.0.0:?: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh Agrawal
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

How do I install security patches with no internet access?

Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux and I want to download security patches and install them on RHEL 5.4. I've searched the red hat web site but cant seem to find where the download link is. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jardoo
5 Replies

7. AIX

Need command to find missing operating system security patches

Hi, Need a command to find out Missing operating system patches for AIX 7.1 or a command to list down all installed patches. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mona Khandelwal
1 Replies
OVDB_INIT(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						      OVDB_INIT(8)

NAME
ovdb_init - Prepare ovdb database for use SYNOPSYS
ovdb_init ["-u"|"-r"] DESCRIPTION
This command must be run before any other process can access the overview database. It performs the following steps: 1. Creates the database environment, if necessary 2. If the database is idle (and if the "-u" option is not specified), it performs a normal recovery. The recovery will remove stale locks, recreate the memory pool cache, and repair any damage caused by a system crash or improper shutdown. 3. If the "-u" option is specified, it performs any necessary upgrades to the database. See the UPGRADING section below. 4. Starts the DB housekeeping processes (ovdb_monitor) if they're not already running. (Unless the "-r" option is specified). 5. Starts the ovdb readserver (ovdb_server) processes if readserver in ovdb.conf is true, and if they are not already running. (Unless the "-r" option is specified). Returns exit status of 0 if all steps were completed successfully. In the event of an error, messages are written to syslog and/or stderr. If a recovery was attempted but it failed, the database may be damaged beyond repair, requiring a rebuild with makehistory(8). This command is normally invoked automatically by rc.news(8). It is OK to run this command multiple times. OPTIONS
"-r" Perform recovery only. "ovdb_monitor" is not started. "-u" Perform any needed upgrades. Recovery is not attempted. "ovdb_monitor" is started if the upgrade succeeded. UPGRADING
There are two situations in which the database will need to be upgraded: o You upgrade the Berkeley DB library to a newer version, for example from 2.7.7 to 3.1.17. In this case, the Berkeley DB db->upgrade() method is used. o You upgrade ovdb to a newer major version; i.e., ovdb-1.0 to ovdb-2.0. In both of these cases, the database is upgraded in-place; and the upgrade can not be undone. Do not interrupt the upgrade process once it has started, because there is a risk of irrepairable corruption. The upgrade may take several minutes to complete. If an upgrade does get interrupted, try running the upgrade again. Here's an example procedure to upgrade a database created with Berkeley DB 2.7.7 to use Berkeley DB 3.1.17: 1. Build and install the Berkeley DB 3.1.17; 2. Run configure in the INN source tree and make sure it picks up the right Berkeley DB directory (e.g., /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.1); 3. Do a "make"; 4. Shut down INN (e.g., with "rc.news stop") and be sure to kill all instances of nnrpd as well; 5. Do a "make update" to install the new binaries; 6. Run "ovdb_init -u" as the news user; 7. Start INN with "rc.news". It is OK to specify "-u" even if no upgrades are needed. HISTORY
Written by Heath Kehoe <hakehoe@avalon.net> for InterNetNews. $Id: ovdb_init.pod 7851 2008-05-26 19:33:08Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
ovdb(5), makehistory(8) INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 OVDB_INIT(8)