Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory How To setup a Diskless Swap System. Post 302244866 by Johnny_Thumbs on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 10:37:15 PM
Old 10-08-2008
Excellent question, one I don't have a complete answer for since I've never tried it. Why not load the whole operating system and all the data a person would ever use in there as well? Knoppix has a boot option which allows you to copy all the iso files into RAM. Grab the DVD, boot it toram(if possible on DVD), install WoW into home; that should be about 20GB. When I look at this situation I wonder what is happening on the Front Side Bus and how much of the important data is getting down the channels ahead of non-important. DSL is a derivative of knoppix with the same boot option and when it is booted toram there is still lag due to 100% cpu; Moore's law if you will. How much of the cpu usage is user instructions or system duties like memory management. Filling the tables with pointers to dormant data would increase the Big "O" and place even more demand on an already taped out tech.

Looking at a Motherboard we see it is covered in circuits. For the machine to be operating at 100% efficiency, all the circuits should be pulsing with data simultaneously. The MPU should be at 100% as well as cache memory. One way of side stepping Moore's Law is multitasking the hardware better and increasing bandwidth. Offloading common operations onto hardcoded processors with a direct connection to main cpu and system bus, etc.. But I digress, the most important reason to do this is as a means of upgrading an old computer at low expense. I highly recommend trying to run DSL on an older cpu, it seems the world needed better software a lot more then faster processor speeds. Older machines can act as Firewall/Router/Gateways, web servers, tor servers, file servers, wireless monitors, etc.. Don't sell or throw away that xbox because it has many years left running the latest kernel code.

Last edited by Johnny_Thumbs; 10-08-2008 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: ...spelling...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System wide CDE setup

Does anyone know how to make system wide changes to the CDE's front panel icons? I dont know if it matters but im running Solaris 9. THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meyersp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What swap is my system running on?

hi all, i need to know what swap my system is running on... Sun-Fire-880 is my system... physical memory= 16GB (8 CPU's) i know generally we keep swap 2 times of real memory... i want to know what is current swap my system is running? following is the o/p of swap -s: Wed Mar 29 16:08:08... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Setup 2 NIC cards in one UNIX system

Hi; I have a UNIX box (SCO 5.0.2) with two (2) NIC cards. One card (NIC1) talks to a network 57.14.65.x/27. The other card NIC2) talks to users on 57.14.103.x and 57.14.105.x with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. If I set NIC2 to this subnet mask (255.255.0.0) it seems like the NIC traffic is now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaspanama
2 Replies

4. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

5. Solaris

swap space in veritas file system

hi every one , i know how to add swap space in ufs file system. but i m facing problem in veritas file system . i wants to know how will i create swap or add new swap space in existing swap space . Note: disk under veritas volume manager control . please help me to solve this issue . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy123
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap file system

This questions only concerns Solaris 10. Let's say I have swap configured like so in /etc/vfstab: /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 - - swap - no - /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s1 - - swap - no - /dev/md/dsk/d1 - - swap - no - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

7. Solaris

increase SWAP on ZFS file system

Hi All, I am using this commands to dynamically increase ZFS swap space on Solaris my question is: 1- after i make these commands it will permanent or it will remove after restart 2- how to make it permanent # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo bloques libre /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmanux
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap issues, system is running at 99%

Hi All, I am trying to understand why my system is running at very high. This system is almost out of memory. See below. swapon -s Filename Type Size Used Priority /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02 partition 8388600 8235088 -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Static IP Address setup for vm as well as the host system

Hello, Greetings!! I have a server with 3 TB of disk space and 12 GB RAM and a i7 processor. What I did thus far is to install Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL 5.7)as the host system and install Oracle Virtual box and created 3 VM's. Installed OEL 5.7 on one of the VM, working on installing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

File system full, swap

hi all I am having a t5240 server in that zone is there in /var/adm/messages i am getting the following warning WARNING: /zoneroot/zonename-zone/root/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded if a swap is getting full what can i do. Please use code tags next time for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies
SWAPON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff, swapctl -- specify devices for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapoff [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapctl [-AghklmsU] [-a file ... | -d file ...] DESCRIPTION
The swapon, swapoff and swapctl utilities are used to control swap devices in the system. At boot time all swap entries in /etc/fstab are added automatically when the system goes multi-user. Swap devices use a fixed interleave; the maximum number of devices is unlimited. There is no priority mechanism. The swapon utility adds the specified swap devices to the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be added, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be added as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is added. The swapoff utility removes the specified swap devices from the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be removed, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be removed as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is removed. Note that swapoff will fail and refuse to remove a swap device if there is insufficient VM (memory + remaining swap devices) to run the system. The swapoff utility must move swapped pages out of the device being removed which could lead to high system loads for a period of time, depending on how much data has been swapped out to that device. Other options supported by both swapon and swapoff are as follows: -F fstab Specify the fstab file to use. The swapctl utility exists primarily for those familiar with other BSDs and may be used to add, remove, or list swap devices. Note that the -a option is used differently in swapctl and indicates that a specific list of devices should be added. The -d option indicates that a spe- cific list should be removed. The -A and -U options to swapctl operate on all swap entries in /etc/fstab which do not have their ``noauto'' option set. Swap information can be generated using the swapinfo(8) utility, pstat -s, or swapctl -l. The swapctl utility has the following options for listing swap: -h Output values in human-readable form. -g Output values in gigabytes. -k Output values in kilobytes. -m Output values in megabytes. -l List the devices making up system swap. -s Print a summary line for system swap. The BLOCKSIZE environment variable is used if not specifically overridden. 512 byte blocks are used by default. FILES
/dev/{ada,da}?s?b standard paging devices /dev/md? memory disk devices /etc/fstab ASCII file system description table DIAGNOSTICS
These utilities may fail for the reasons described in swapon(2). SEE ALSO
swapon(2), fstab(5), init(8), mdconfig(8), pstat(8), rc(8) HISTORY
The swapon utility appeared in 4.0BSD. The swapoff and swapctl utilities appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. BSD
November 22, 2013 BSD