Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users emergency shutdown best practices. Post 302244813 by avronius on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 03:57:25 PM
Old 10-08-2008
Good point Broli - since you are already using sudo, create the shutdown scripts (one script for all hosts - perform the OS check locally), and give mbaker the right to run the shutdown script.
Then, your script would simply be:
Code:
for host in `cat $hostlist` do; ssh $host emergencyShutdown <flags/options>;done

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Emergency boot

I need to boot an OpenServer 5.0.5 server but I don't have emergency boot disks for it. There are some boot disks of other servers. Can I use these disks, changing defbootstr ?. How ?. The fact is that administrator can't login as root and it seems to be a corrupted auth system issue. Other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dags
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Emergency help with script!

I'm trying to write a script to push out to all our servers some Veritas add-ons. I want the script to push to all servers and if there server hardware matches the uname -i statement, it will install a additional add-on.. The script keeps giving me a error on line 29. Here is the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Emergency help with ubuntu

Hi guys i have some question about ubuntu(10.10) 1.what time scheduling & page replacement algorithm have been used in ubuntu 2.how to create a process 3.how to kill a process 4.how to send information to a process 5.how to see a process 6.how to increase priority of a process 7.how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mortez28
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Emergency !!!Help Please--- NFS

Hi Guru's, I am unable to mount NFS share on unix system (DG/UX) which is nfs client. Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid argument mount: giving up on: /mountpoint i tried following commands mount -t nfs remotehost:/nfsshare /mountpoint Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Justin John
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX emergency

can anyone please tell me that how can i boot unix from a cd? full procedure. it's an emergency. reply asap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niket agarwal
1 Replies

8. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-RC-LOCAL-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-rc-local-generator				     SYSTEMD-RC-LOCAL-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-rc-local-generator - Compatibility generator for starting /etc/rc.local and /usr/sbin/halt.local during boot and shutdown SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-rc-local-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-rc-local-generator is a generator that checks whether /etc/rc.local exists and is executable, and if it is pulls the rc-local.service unit into the boot process. This unit is responsible for running this script during late boot. Note that the script will be run with slightly different semantics than the original System V version, which was run "last" in the boot process, which is a concept that does not translate to systemd. The script is run after network.target, but in parallel with most other regular system services. systemd-rc-local-generator also checks whether /usr/sbin/halt.local exists and is executable, and if it is pulls the halt-local.service unit into the shutdown process. This unit is responsible for running this script during later shutdown. Support for both /etc/rc.local and /usr/sbin/halt.local is provided for compatibility with specific System V systems only. However, it is strongly recommended to avoid making use of these scripts today, and instead provide proper unit files with appropriate dependencies for any scripts to run during the boot or shutdown processes. systemd-rc-local-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-RC-LOCAL-GENERATOR(8)