Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users emergency shutdown best practices. Post 302244741 by avronius on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 02:00:19 PM
Old 10-08-2008
If you can ssh around as root
Code:
for host in `cat hostlist`; do ssh $host shutdown <arguments>;done

(assuming that you put all of the hosts in a file named hostlist)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Emergency boot

I need to boot an OpenServer 5.0.5 server but I don't have emergency boot disks for it. There are some boot disks of other servers. Can I use these disks, changing defbootstr ?. How ?. The fact is that administrator can't login as root and it seems to be a corrupted auth system issue. Other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dags
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Emergency help with script!

I'm trying to write a script to push out to all our servers some Veritas add-ons. I want the script to push to all servers and if there server hardware matches the uname -i statement, it will install a additional add-on.. The script keeps giving me a error on line 29. Here is the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Emergency help with ubuntu

Hi guys i have some question about ubuntu(10.10) 1.what time scheduling & page replacement algorithm have been used in ubuntu 2.how to create a process 3.how to kill a process 4.how to send information to a process 5.how to see a process 6.how to increase priority of a process 7.how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mortez28
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Emergency !!!Help Please--- NFS

Hi Guru's, I am unable to mount NFS share on unix system (DG/UX) which is nfs client. Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid argument mount: giving up on: /mountpoint i tried following commands mount -t nfs remotehost:/nfsshare /mountpoint Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Justin John
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX emergency

can anyone please tell me that how can i boot unix from a cd? full procedure. it's an emergency. reply asap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niket agarwal
1 Replies

8. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
shutdown(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       shutdown(8)

Name
       shutdown - close down the system at a given time

Syntax
       /etc/shutdown [ -k ] [ -r ] [ -h ] [ -o ] time [ warning-message ... ]

Description
       The command provides an automated shutdown procedure that a superuser can use to notify users when the system is shutting down.

The  time is the time at which will bring the system down.  It may be the word `now', indicating an immediate shutdown, or specify a future
       time in one of two formats: + number or hour : min.  The first form brings the system down in number minutes.  The second brings the system
       down at the time of day indicated, using a 24-hour clock format.

At intervals which get shorter as shutdown nears, warning messages are displayed at the terminals of all users on the system.  Warning mes-
       sages are also sent to users who are logged in to a remote system that has mounted a file system or directory from the local  system  using
       NFS.   Five  minutes  before  shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is timed for less than five minutes, logins are disabled by creating and
       writing a message there.  If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, prints its contents and exits.   The  file  is  removed  just
       before exits.

At  shutdown  time, a message is written in the file This message contains the time of shutdown, who ran shutdown, and the reason.  Then, a
       terminate signal is sent at to bring the system to single-user state.

If the or options are used, then executes or avoids shutting the system down (respectively).  The option is for use by only.  It  indicates
       to that it is being called by and not to return to the user.

You should place the time of the shutdown and the warning message in Use the message to inform the users about when the system will be back
       up and why it is going down.

Restrictions
       You can kill the system only between now and 23:59, if you use the absolute time for shutdown.

Files
       Tells login not to let anyone log in

Log file for successful shutdowns

See Also
       login(1), wall(1), halt(8), opser(8), reboot(8), rwalld(8c)

shutdown(8)