Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Start Up Services?
Operating Systems Solaris Start Up Services? Post 302244715 by incredible on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 12:42:37 PM
Old 10-08-2008
process under the /etc/init.d and /etc/rc2.d - rc3.d gets initialised and starts up when a system is booted up. In solaris 10, some of these services and network and app daemons use the SMF

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle Cluster Ready Services waiting for SunCluster on x86 to start

Recently i faced problem starting oracle application on my galaxy cluster on one node.In the log i found that the CRS demon was not started after the booting of the node , so i manually tried to start it but faced some error. So here are the work around that i had done and the CRS services got... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
0 Replies

2. SuSE

start services during the startup

I'm trying to add services to start services automatically during the system start up in suse linux. I followed these steps.. chkconfig servicename on and created symbolic link at /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ folder with name S80servicename. here is the command I used ln -s /etc/init.d/servicename... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
8 Replies

3. HP-UX

Couldn't start nrpe services (Unknown service)

Good morning, I've installed nrpe 2.12 (from nagios) on a HP-UX B.11.11 U server! Then I've configured the following files : $ tail /etc/services nrpe 5666/tcp # NRPE $ tail /etc/inetd.conf nrpe stream tcp nowait nagios /software/nagios/nrpe/bin/nrpe -c... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Services Start & stop scripts--help required

Dear All, Pls find my scripts for Agent services strat & stop. EAMSROOT=/opt/panaces export EAMSROOT cd $EAMSROOT nohup ./OracleAgent.sh start & nohup ./PFRAgent.sh start & nohup ./PFR.sh start & nohup ./SolarisOSAgent.sh start & exit 0 EAMSROOT=/opt/panaces export EAMSROOT cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starnaresh
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start some services automatically

Hello All i have a question related to some services,i want to start some services with server linux centos. i make "chkconfig httpd on" and "chkconfig asterisk on",but when i verify with chkconfig --list i found httpd 0: off 1: off 2: on 3: on 4: on 5: on 6:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bernard12
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure start up services/processes in Solaris 10?

I normally use "chkconfig" to configure start up services in a particular run level..... But i don't know how to do it in solaris 10.... please help me !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

8. AIX

Thoughts on HACMP: Automatic start of cluster services

Hi all, I remember way back in some old environment, having the HA cluster services not being started automatically at startup, ie. no entry in /etc/inittab. I remember reason was (taken a 2 node active/passive cluster), to avoid having a backup node being booted, so that it will not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Start Services in Clustered Environment

Hello Experts, I have a requirement to start and stop weblogic services in a clustered environment. First i need to start weblogic server and once the server is in Running mode i need to do SSH to other server and there i need to start Node Manager and Managed server, After these two are in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beginner786
1 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)