Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Controling a statement to execute Post 302244596 by zaxxon on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 09:08:24 AM
Old 10-08-2008
Ok, no problem Smilie

Not that I know of...
Error handling is usually done via Exit/Return Codes and checking them with if/fi and additionally using break/continue to steer through the logic of the script, if needed.

For example if commands in your script are executed, check the value of $? and if it is not zero, usually something has gone wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get an if statement to execute based on number of lines in a file?

I need to have an if statement in a script to run if there are certain processes running. Easiest way I can see to do this is to run a ps and grep the results based on what I am looking for: $ ps -ef | grep wtrs --- webtrend 5046 1 0 May 12 ? 0:28 /webtrends/versions/6.1/wtrs_ui... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script does not execute Insert Statement

Hi I have a text file , contents are Line1:field1,field2,field3,field4,field5,field6.......field20 Line2:field1,field2,field3,field4,field5,field6.......field20 Line3:field1,field2,field3,field4,field5,field6.......field20 ....and so on... I want to read this file and insert the data into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i execute in IF ELSE Statement

ls -ld /path/to/dir1 path/to/dir2 | awk '{print $8}' how to execute above script in IF ELSE Statement. Pls iam new to Unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laknar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute the same statement

I have written a script for converting an IP address into its corresponding AS number in PHP. But based on the timing analysis, I've observed that it takes a long time to process large number of entries. So I need to do something directly in unix. What method would one suggest for this purpose? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for each value in an array, execute select statement

Hello All, I am new to shell scripting. I am working on Solaris O/S, bash script and sybase programming. I want to loop through multiple values in an array and for each value, I want to select a row from the database. following is the code written for it. output="loop.csv" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arundhati_s
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in controling execution rate of script in shell

I want to control the speed of execution of a script, There are 1000 lines in script, i want 100 lines to be executed in 10 seconds and from 11th second execution from 101 line should start, again so on. Please help me in creating the script. Thanks, cmaniar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmaniar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute and log each statement/block SQL file

Hi friends, I would like to get some help on the following requirement. I have a SQL file with following things, select 1 from dual; select user from dual; select sysdate from dual; BEGIN PL/SQL Code END; / This file will be saved as sql file. When I run my expected shell script,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssnair
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass tablenames from a file to shell script to execute create statement in DB2

Hi, I am new to Shell Scripting, and I need to create nicknames for 600 tables in db2. I have the file names in a text file and i have to pass these table names to a shell script create nicknames in db2. Can some one please help me in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamalanaatha
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
catch(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 catch(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero(0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in varName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } SEE ALSO
break(1T), continue(1T), error(1T), return(1T), tclvars(1T) KEYWORDS
catch, error ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.0 catch(1T)