Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem in script when using variables Post 302244552 by palsevlohit_123 on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 07:29:27 AM
Old 10-08-2008
Problem in script when using variables

The AppName may be TCS/HCL/SCB.
For All the above 3 i ill have exported TCSDIR/HCLDIR/SCBDIR in .profile with some path.
i'm cnstruct the path in script and trying to cd $VARIABLE, it shows "not found".

Any solution for this....?

Code:
> AppName="TCS"
> echo $AppName
TCS
> start_path="\$${AppName}DIR/src"
> echo $start_path
$TCSDIR/src
> cd $start_path
ksh: $TCSDIR/src:  not found
> cd $TCSDIR/src
/tmp/TCS_TEMP/src>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with variables

hi all , i wanted to know if someone knows how can i use a variable inside another variable e.g. #!/bin/csh foreach test(1 2 3) set sta_$test = "2" ##now its the problem i want to echo the new var #$sta_$test , each time with anothe num ($test = 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem accessing Multiple Variables from C Program to a Shell script

program name--test #!/bin/bash output1=`/home/user/a.c` output2=`/home/user/a.c` k=`$output1 + 1` m=`$output2 + 1` echo $k echo $m --------------------------------------------------------------------------- prgram name--a.c #include<stdio.h> int main() (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameworld1980
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with grep script (2 variables)

#!\bin\sh TEST=test.log GREP=\usr\bin\grep $GREP -i 'dog\|cat' ${TEST} Why doesn't grep run at all? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzaddict
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using variables in bash script

I am using variable to give the location of the file I am using but I get error. Here is the code: LogFile=/tmp/log.email echo -e "could not close the service - error number $error \n" > $LogFile well this is not all the code but is enough because the problem start when I try to use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while concatenating variables in shell script

Hi folks, I am facing problem when I concat variables with the string. Value for 'JDBC_CLASSES' variable looks malformed (/classes12.zip2.0KAGES) But, my expected result for 'JDBC_CLASSES' is /opt/API-R111/PACKAGES/jdbc/ORACLE9.2.0/classes12.zip Am I missing anything here? My... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhil
10 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem setting environment variables from script

Hi all! I know that environment variables can be set on the .bashrc file, but I need to set them from a sh script. I saw a lot of websites that teach this but it doesn't work for me. #!/bin/sh DEKTOP=$DESKTOP=:/home/rrodrigues/Desktop export DESKTOP if I do echo $DESKTOP returns me... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script problem - Variables Causing Issue

can someone please explain to me what i'm doing wrong with this code: WELT=$(awk '(($1 ~ "^${caag}$") || ($2 ~ "^${caag}$"))' /tmp/Compare.TEXT) when run from the command line, it works. but it seems to be having a problem doing the comparison when variables are involved. i tested from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Global variables in shell script

hi, i have a shell script which calls another shell which in turn calls another shell script. Main_shell_script.sh echo "In Main_shell_script.sh" FILENAME="original.txt" # LINE 1 DST_FILENAME=$FILENAME # LINE 2 echo "FILENAME = {$FILENAME}" echo "DST_FILENAME =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables and bash script

From the command line: dions-air:scripts dion$ ls -l /Users/dion/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCX -rw-r--r-- 1 dion staff 157934 7 Jun 06:55 /Users/dion/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCXworks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dionbl
2 Replies
MAKESH(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    MAKESH(1)

NAME
makeSH - a .SH script maker SYNOPSIS
makeSH files DESCRIPTION
MakeSH examines one or more scripts and produces a .SH file that, when run under sh, will produce the original script. The .SH script so produced has two sections containing code destined for the output. The first section has variable substitutions performed on it (taking values from config.sh), while the second section does not. MakeSH does not know which variables you want to have substituted, so it puts the whole script into the second section. It's up to you to insert any variable substitutions in the first section for any values you want from config.sh. You should run makeSH from within your top-level directory and use the relative path to the file as an argument, so that the "Extracting ..." line printed while running the produced .SH file later on will give that same path. AUTHOR
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> SEE ALSO
pat(1), metaconfig(1), makedist(1). BUGS
It could assume that variables from metaconfig's Glossary need to be initialized in the first section, but I'm too lazy to make it do that. LOCAL MAKESH(1)