Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error while trying to print message Post 302244527 by Navatha on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 05:40:20 AM
Old 10-08-2008
Error while trying to print message

Hi all

Geting this error while trying to print message as :
./logfunc[4]: print: bad file unit number
heres what i m trying to do :

log_date="$(date '+%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S')"
log_type="Message"
print "${log_date}: ${log_type}"
print -u3 "${log_date}: ${log_type}"

this error is due to print -u3 option...
Can anyone explain the reason and wht does this option u3 does ?

Thanks in anticipation ,

Warm Regards,
Navatha

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

2. AIX

Error Message with ls

When I try to list a directory that I have been using rsync to copy, I now am getting the following message. root # ls -alt /directory ls: /directory: Value too large to be stored in data type. total 0 I can change directory and list the contents of directories within /directory, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallender
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

4. Programming

How to implement SIGKILL and SIGTERM and print a message?

Hello, I am running a webserver that uses sockets, forks, and children. The parent process listens for connections and the child processes the information. I am trying to figure out why the code I have below SIGTERM, and SIGKILL never fire. I was messing around with the printfs and doesnt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norelco55
11 Replies

5. Solaris

To print Coloured Prelogin Message on SOLARIS--9................

Hiiii..... Every one...... I am using /etc/issue file to display Pre-login Message on my system, installed with SOLARIS-9. I am getting this Message in White fonts having Black background ( Colour of the Screen)..... So, is there ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error message: What does it mean?

I get this error message in my maillog. Can someone tell me what it means? SYSERR(root): collect: I/O error on connection from mail-05.goomba.com I guess it means that the server could not connect to mail-06.goomba.com. Is my interpretation correct? Any idea why it happens? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a message at specific line on prompt

Hi Friends, I am using HP-UNIX(ksh). I want to print a message at specific line on the prompt screen. For Example: for num in 1 10 3 145 do echo $num // need to print this on the same line for each number sleep 2 done Actual Output: ========== 1 10 3 145 Expected Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print message while using sqlplus

I want to connect to oracle database from solaris... After that i will drop and create a no.of tables.One of the table example is as below. sqlplus -s usrname/password@dbname << SQL >> $logfile 2>&1 echo " dropping the table1" | tee logfile DROP TABLE Table1 echo "creating the table1" |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check the string in a file and print an attribute in the message

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and got a task to complete. Task is : we have a log file where in i need to traverse through the whole file to check the string "Person Type missing in message" and after that i need to get EMPLID=xxxxxx from the file and print details in a different file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suren424
1 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)