Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris One time network boot of Jumpstart x86 client Post 302244338 by chajo19 on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 06:19:29 PM
Old 10-07-2008
That sounds like a good idea, but since I am looking to automate this, how could I determine when the appropriate time to remove it from dhcp is? I am developing an application that drives this so I wouldn't be able to put a specific time limit (as we know it can vary from system to system), what I need is some trigger or event that indicates the client has successfully finished the boot process. Any thoughts?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Jumpstart on x86 client- prompt for CD2

Hi I just configured a jumpstart server for x86 and sparc clients. I don't use a dhcp server, so I configured /etc/ethers and did add_install_client to update /etc/bootparams. The sparc installation ist working, but the x86 installation stops after CD1 was successfully installed. What I did: I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay_Fisi
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Jumpstart Solaris 10 x86

I need a little help figuring out why my custom jumpstart network installation is dumping me to a manual install. I am trying to install Solaris 10 (unattended) over the wire from my jumpstart server to an HP Proliant DL380 server but I'm having difficulties with the unattended part. So, what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alias.256
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 Jumpstart w/o GUI

Does anyone know how to Jumpstart a Solaris 10 x86 system without the GUI? I would like to keep the Jumpstart and/or Flash Archive install in a console text mode if possible but I've not had much luck finding instructions. I'm guessing this is going to be accomplished from the grub menu with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alias.256
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Jumpstart sparc client using x86 server.

Can I use a Jumpstart enviroment on x86 to install a sparc64 client? The idea is to install Solaris in an virtual environment (Sun Virtual Box) running on a pc (AMD), configure a Jumpstart server, and have a SUN Ultra 60 (sparc64) installed via the Jumpstart server. The SUN has no cdrom... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldiablo
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Automate Solaris x86 Jumpstart

Hi All, Is there a possible way to fully automate Solaris x86 jumpstart or make the x86 jumpstart unattended? I'm currently checking the possible options on how can I do the x86 jumpstart to be kicked off during midnight. We have an automated jumpstart (start to run from midnight) for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Jumpstart Installation from X86 machine

Hi friends , i have on ultra 10 Sparc machine . Due to some problem my OS is fully corrupted , so i am planning to install again but my problem is the cd drive in Ultra 10 machine is not working. Now i am planning to use Jumpstart installation method to install my server. But i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
4 Replies

7. Solaris

custom jumpstart on x86 with DHCP/PXE goes into interactive mode

client boots fine, it gets the ip 192.168.0.10 and the bootfile. Then there is : SunOS 5.10 Version Generic_141445-09 32-bit" ... Configuring devices. Custom JumpStart Reading ZFS config: done Setting up Java. Please wait ... NOTE: Not enough memory for graphical installation. Graphical... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Jumpstart Client Issue

I have a jumpstart client that is not requesting the tftp boot file. The rarp function is working, hostname and ip are set ok, but it hangs after that. tcpdump output: jumpstart-server:/var/lib/tftpboot# tcpdump -i eth1 tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skitch
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Installing Solaris x86 using jumpstart does not set the hostname for the target

Installing Solaris x86 using jumpstart does not set the hostname for the target. Any idea where do we need to specify hostname to be set for jumpstart installation. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
1 Replies
dhcp(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   dhcp(5)

NAME
dhcp - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DESCRIPTION
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) enables host systems in a TCP/IP network to be configured automatically for the network as they boot. DHCP uses a client/server mechanism: servers store configuration information for clients, and provide that information upon a client's request. The information can include the client's IP address and information about network services available to the client. This manual page provides a brief summary of the Solaris DHCP implementation. Solaris DHCP Client The Solaris DHCP client is implemented as background daemon, dhcpagent(1M). This daemon is started automatically during bootup if there exists at least one dhcp.interface file in /etc. Only interfaces with a corresponding /etc/dhcp.interface file are automatically configured during boot. Network parameters needed for system configuration during bootup are extracted from the information recieved by the daemon through the use of the dhcpinfo(1) command. The daemon's default behavior can be altered by changing the tunables in the /etc/default/dhc- pagent file. The daemon is controlled by the ifconfig(1M) utility. Check the status of the daemon using the netstat(1M) and ifconfig(1M) commands. Solaris DHCP Server The Solaris DHCP server is implemented as a background daemon, in.dhcpd(1M). This daemon can deliver network configuration information to either BOOTP or DHCP clients. The Solaris DHCP service can be managed using the dhcpmgr(1M) GUI or the command line utilities dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M). DHCP Configuration Tables The Solaris DHCP server stores client configuration information in the following two types of tables: dhcptab tables Contain macros and options (also known as symbols), used to construct a package of configuration information to send to each DHCP client. There exists only one dhcptab for the DHCP service. The dhcptab(4) can be viewed and mod- ified using the dhtadm(1M) command or dhcpmgr(1M) graphical utility. See dhcptab(4) for more information about the syntax of dhcptab records. See dhcp_inittab(4) for more information about the DHCP options and symbols. DHCP network tables DHCP network tables, which contain mappings of client IDs to IP addresses and parameters associated with those addresses. Network tables are named with the IP address of the network, and can be created, viewed, and modified using the pntadm command or dhcpmgr graphical utility. See dhcp_network(4) for more information about network tables. SEE ALSO
dhcpinfo(1), dhcpagent(1M), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), ifconfig(1M), in.dhcpd(1M), netstat(1M), pntadm(1M), syslog(3C), dhcp_network(4), dhcptab(4), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp_inittab(4), dhcp_modules(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide Alexander, S., and R. Droms. RFC 2132, DHCP Options and BOOTP Vendor Extensions. Silicon Graphics, Inc. Bucknell University. March 1997. Droms, R. RFC 1534, Interoperation Between DHCP and BOOTP. Bucknell University. October 1993. Droms, R. RFC 2131, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Bucknell University. March 1997. Wimer, W. RFC 1542, Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol. Carnegie Mellon University. October 1993. SunOS 5.10 13 Mar 2001 dhcp(5)