Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script to move logs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to move logs Post 302244272 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 02:51:10 PM
Old 10-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
However, I still can't find the extra 11-12G that df shows and du does not.

du and df measure different things. They will not show the same numbers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for reducing logs

Hi, I'm not good in scripting, maybe someone can help me. I need to delete the lines that contains the last month date from a text file. Each line has the following date format: So the script should check the actual month, and delete all the lines that contains the past month. The script runs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lots of logs to move....don't remove if open

I have a ksh script that currently moves a day's worth of log files (about 15,000) files to a different directory. The issue is that about 100 of these files are still open for write when this happens. I need an efficient way to ensure that these files aren't open without doing an lsof on each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nestafaria
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for reading logs of a script running on other UNIX server

Hi, I have a script, running on some outside firwall server and it's log of success or failure is maintained in a file. I want to write a script which ftp that server and reads that file and checks the logs and if failure , I will send mail notification. Please let meknow if I am not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vandana.parwani
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for GC Logs

Hi, I have a strange situation here, I want to archive gc.logs file, generated by a java application, the strange thing about gc.log file is is doesn't have any time/date stamp appended to it unlike other logs (catalina/access/error) and one more strange thing is when ever the application is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neeryan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check logs

I have 5 log files under different directores . say for eg abc under /home/dir1 , xyz under home/dir2 . is there a script that i can run from say /home that searchers all these files for string or combination of strings and write to a file eg search file by timestamp|keyword o/p in a file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for monitoring logs

hi, i'm using unix solaris 5.8. I have to write a shell script for monitoring logs. whenever the logs are not updated more than one hour an alert will be send to my mail. I'm new to Unix, so could anyone help me to find this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arasu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need script to rotate logs

I have few solaris-10 non global zones, where one application is writing some logs to /var/ovd/ConfigLogs. It keeps increasing all the time, as it is needed by application team as of now. I want a small script, which I can configure in cronjob, which should : - Run every Saturday 10 PM - Copy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Profile.d script logs out

Hi, I included a command set -o vi & sudo -l user -c script in profile.d and /etc/profile. unfortunately the script has some command that logs me out every time I try to login from all users including root user. this is happening from GUI. can I login to prompt directly? or is there an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)