Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RE: exit value
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting RE: exit value Post 302244231 by vslewis on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 01:10:46 PM
Old 10-07-2008
Data RE: exit value

I am running HP-UX & ksh

I have several validation programs that scan log files for error messages.

One of these files scan 3 diff files, thus I have the exit value in a variable and depending on which log-file I am scanning the value changes.
I am not getting the value I expect but a different value ( echo $? displays 213 - expect -777).
So my question is: Can you exit with a variable instead of a fixed value?

exit $xerr (where xerr=-777)
vs.
exit -777

THX in advance. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit

Hi all, I am confused about When and where to use exit 0 and exit 1 ... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
2 Replies

3. Programming

exit(0) versus exit(1)

What is the difference between using exit(0) and exit(1) to exit a program? Which should I use? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit 2

Hi even though I use exit in my first scripts, I am not sure exactly about exit codes.I know there is a relation between return and exit codes, exit 0 means it returned a 0 to indicate there is no error at the end of this point. But what does it mean: exit 1 , probably there was an error, OK... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is meaning of exit(0) and exit(1)

can u tell me what is the meaning of exit(0),exit(1),exit(2) what is diff amonng these. Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit or logout

When I want to close my session I can use exit or logout, and a lot of manuals use both of them indistinctly. So, Is there any difference between exit or logout?? Or are both of them exactly the same command?? I forgot to mention that I am using a RedHat Unix. Thanks for your help. Kinai. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinai
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does it mean and how do I do it: exit 0 fi ??

I use a Mac and need to 'echo' a code in >> /etc/hosts Where is: /etc/hosts? And how do I do : exit 0 Does : 'fi' mean something too? :confused:Thanks for any help, Jacqrav:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacqrav
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else then exit

Hi, if then mailx -s " MESSAGE " abc@xyz.com < $file else exit fi Could you let me know if the pattern is not found will the script exit. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bprabhukumar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If Error then Exit

HI I am just using cd Command and i want exit if error. Ex. cd /hp/pp/0720 If above folder in not available then stop the script Folder is change every day Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies
Clamd client(1) 						  Clam AntiVirus						   Clamd client(1)

NAME
clamdscan - scan files and directories for viruses using Clam AntiVirus Daemon SYNOPSIS
clamdscan [options] [file/directory] DESCRIPTION
clamdscan is a clamd client which may be used as a clamscan replacement. It accepts all the options implemented in clamscan but most of them will be ignored because its scanning abilities only depend on clamd. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help information and exit. -V, --version Print version number and exit. -v, --verbose Be verbose. --quiet Be quiet - only output error messages. --stdout Write all messages (except for libclamav output) to the standard output (stdout). --config-file=FILE Read clamd settings from FILE. -l FILE, --log=FILE Save the scan report to FILE. -f FILE, --file-list=FILE Scan files listed line by line in FILE. -m, --multiscan In the multiscan mode clamd will attempt to scan the directory contents in parallel using available threads. This option is espe- cially useful on multiprocessor and multi-core systems. If you pass more than one file or directory in the command line, they are put in a queue and sent to clamd individually. This means, that single files are always scanned by a single thread. Similarly, clamdscan will wait for clamd to finish a directory scan (performed in multiscan mode) before sending request to scan another direc- tory. This option can be combined with --fdpass (see below). -z, --allmatch After a match, continue scanning within the file for additional matches. --remove Remove infected files. Be careful. --move=DIRECTORY Move infected files into DIRECTORY. --no-summary Do not display summary at the end of scanning. --reload Request clamd to reload virus database. --fdpass Pass the file descriptor permissions to clamd. This is useful if clamd is running as a different user as it is faster than streaming the file to clamd. Only available if connected to clamd via local(unix) socket. --stream Forces file streaming to clamd. This is generally not needed as clamdscan detects automatically if streaming is required. This option only exists for debugging and testing purposes, in all other cases --fdpass is preferred. EXAMPLES
(0) To scan a one file: clamdscan file (1) To scan a current working directory: clamdscan (2) To scan all files in /home: clamdscan /home (3) To scan a file when clamd is running as a different user: clamdscan --fdpass ~/downloads (4) To scan from standard input: clamdscan - < file_to_scan cat file_to_scan | clamdscan - RETURN CODES
0 : No virus found. 1 : Virus(es) found. 2 : An error occured. CREDITS
Please check the full documentation for credits. AUTHOR
Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net> SEE ALSO
clamd(8), clamd.conf(5), clamscan(1) ClamAV 0.98.4 February 12, 2009 Clamd client(1)