Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep string but also it will show the next 5 lines Post 302244047 by thepurple on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 05:14:37 AM
Old 10-07-2008
Grep string but also it will show the next 5 lines

Hi experts,

I want to grep a number 9366109380 from a file but it will also show me the next 5 lines. Below is the example-

when i grep 989366109380, i can also see the next 5 lines.

Line 1. <fullOperation>MAKE:NUMBER:9366109380:PPAY2;</fullOperation>
Line 2. <starttime>20081003000047</starttime>
Line 3. <stoptime>20081003000047</stoptime>
Line 4. <fullResult>940120105;;</fullResult>
Line 5. <status>FAILED</status>

Please help..

//Purple

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can you show lines surrounding a search string?

I would like to be able to grep (or some such thing) a search argument and then display the line plus the preceding 3 lines of the file and the following 3 lines of the file. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robster
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to show lines only after pattern

When i grep for a pattern the search results comes up with matching lines(some before the pattern and some after)...how can i limit the search so that it shows only the lines after the pattern specified (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string & a few lines after

i need to grep a STRING_A & the next few lines after the STRING_A example file: STRING_A yada yada line 1 line 2 STRING_B yada yada line 1 line 2 line 3 STRING_A yada yada line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 STRING_A yada yada line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashterix
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to show date/time of file the string was found in.

I've seen several examples of grep showing the filename the string was found in, but what I really need is grep to show the file details in long format (like ls -l would). scenario is: grep mobile_number todays_files This will show me the string I'm after & which files they turn up in, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodstock
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two lines after grep for a text string

I have several very large file that are extracts from Oracle tables. These files are formatted in XML type syntax with multiple entries like: <ROW> some information more information </ROW> I want to grep for some words, then print all lines between <ROW> AND </ROW>. Can this be done with AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbruce
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep couple of consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

Hello, I want to extract from a file like : 20120530025502914 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025502968 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502985 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502996 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503013 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503045 | RESPONSE | whatever I want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep into a file + show following lines

Hi guys, This is probably very easy but I've no idea how to pull this out. Basically, I need to find errors into a very large logfile. When you grep the ID, the output is like this: +- Type: 799911 Code: Ret: 22728954 Mand: X Def: Des: UserDes: SeqNo: 2 +- Type: 799911 Code: Ret:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkadia
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep three consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

say we have : 2914 | REQUEST | whatever 2914 | RESPONSE | whatever 2914 | SUCCESS | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2986 | REQUEST | whatever 2990 | REQUEST | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2996 | REQUEST | whatever 2010 | SUCCESS | whatever 2013 | REQUEST | whatever 2013 |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saumitra Pandey
7 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD