Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date and time difference
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Date and time difference Post 302244026 by risshanth on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 03:38:22 AM
Old 10-07-2008
Date and time difference

Hi,

I am starting a process at 9 pm today and want to exit the process by 5am, the next day. Every day at 9pm the shell script will be invoked by autosys.
But how can i monitor in my script for 5 am and stop the process ?

there may be a case where the script can start at 4.59 am and complete by even 6.00 am. So checking for (if current time >= 5 am ) will also wont work. Is there any function like date_diff or something else ?? How this can be acheived.

Risshanth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

About date & time difference

Hello All, I was having a look on threads on the Forum about time calculation but didn't find exactly this issue. For instance, if we have these 2 dates, begin & end : 20100430235830 20100501000200 Is there anyway, awk, ksh, perl to calculate the difference in sec and get for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time difference

Hi, Below is the backup file name (includes date & time) : exp_trx_tables_18_Oct_2010_10_59_00.dmp Extracted date and time from the file name as below using the below "awk"command: date 18-Oct-2010 and time 10:59:00 echo "$fname" | awk -F"_" '{printf "Records will be restored as on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time difference

I have start and finish date in the following format - Start Date: 5/21/2010 9:14:00 AM End Date : 5/24/2010 7:23:00 AM I need to get the time difference in the following format :mm or . Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: randev
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date and time difference

Hi, I am trying to use the script as under : echo "Please input the string (APC) in the format (APC=x-yyy-z):" read a for i in m1 m2 m4 m5 m6 do cat /m12/$i/12* | grep -B 1 -A 1 inaccessible | gawk '/'$a'/{print $6,$7,$8,x};{x=$3" "$4}' | awk NF > temp cat /m122/$i/12* | grep -B 1 -A 1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date / Time difference in shell script

================================================================================ Request ID GMDCOM TIME GMDRRS TIME COM-RRS ================================================================================ <36812974> Tue Oct 1 13:32:40 2013 Tue Oct 1 20:36:42 2013... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date / Time difference in shell script

Request ID GMDCOMTM GMDRRSTIME GMDRESTIME <36812986> : : :I want to display the date -time difference in other fields. Above I have given for only 1 record. I want to calculate for all the records. (GMCOMTM - GMDRRSTM) ,(GMDRRSTM-GMDRESTM) and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date time difference in UNIX shell script

There are 2 dates, Tue Oct 1 13:40:19 2013 Sun Sept 30 10:26:23 2013 I have multiple dates like the above one. How do I calculate the date time difference and display in another column in Shell script. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanmoysays
3 Replies

9. AIX

Time Difference between date and date -u

Hi Everyone, We are having an issue with date and date -u in our AIX Systems. We have checked environment variable TZ and /etc/environment and however, we could not rectify the difference. >date Thu Mar 19 22:31:40 IST 2015 >date -u Thu Mar 19 17:01:44 GMT 2015 Any clue... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In HP-UX how to find the date time difference ?

Hello, In HP-UX how to find the date time difference ? Start time: 28-APR-2019 21:36:01 End time : 29-APR-2019 00:36:04 ---------------------- Difference is ---------------------- Much appreciate any pointer or view on this. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies
Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)

NAME
Date::Manip::Migration5to6 - how to upgrade from 5.xx to 6.00 SYNOPSIS
When upgrading from Date::Manip 5.xx to 6.00, a few changes may be necessary to your scripts. The Date::Manip::Changes5to6 document lists in more detail the ways in which Date::Manip changed, but very few of these actually entail changes to your script. It should be noted that once the changes are made to your script, it will no longer run correctly in 5.xx. NECESSARY AND SUGGESTED CHANGES
The following changes are necessary, or strongly suggested: Reading config files with Date_Init If you use Date_Init to read any config files (if you do business mode calculations, you probably do), you should remove all of the following config variables from your call to Date_Init: GlobalCnf=FILE PersonalCnf=FILE PathSep=* IgnoreGlobalCnf=* PersonalCnfPath=* and replace them with: ConfigFile=FILE where FILE is now the full path to a config file. Also, the ConfigFile argument should be the first argument in Date_Init. Date_ConvTZ The Date_ConvTZ function has changed. It should now take 3 arguments: $date = Date_ConvTZ($date,$from,$to); If $from is not given, it defaults to the local time zone. If $to is not given, it defaults to the local time zone. The date is converted from the $from time zone into the $to time zone. Both should be any time zone (or alias) supported by Date::Manip. The old $errlevel argument is no longer handled. ConvTZ and TZ config variables If you use either the ConvTZ or TZ config variables, you should replace them with either SetDate or ForceDate. See the Date::Manip::Config document for information. Other deprecated config variables Most of the deprecated config variables continue to function (though they will be removed at a future date). These include: GlobalCnf IgnoreGlobalCnf PersonalCnf PersonalCnfPath PathSep TZ Internal The following variables have been removed. If you use any of them, you may need to modify your scripts: ConvTZ TodayIsMidnight DeltaSigns UpdateCurrTZ today, yesterday, tomorrow If you parse the strings "today", "yesterday", or "tomorrow" in order to get the time now, or 24 hours in the past/future, this will no longer work. These strings now refer strictly to the date (so "today" is the current day at midnight, "yesterday" is the previous day at midnight, etc.). To get the time now, 24 hours ago, or 24 hours in the future, you would need to parse the strings "now", "-24:00:00", or "+24:00:00" respectively. Do not use Memoize In 5.xx, it was documented that you could use the module Memoize to speed up Date::Manip, especially when sorting dates. This information is no longer accurate. Using Memoize in conjuction with Date::Manip should have little impact on performance, and may lead to incorrect results, especially if you change config variables. Please see the Date::Manip::Changes5to6 (GENERAL CHANGES) document for more information. If you find other instances where it is necessary to modify your script, please email me so that I can add that information to this document. BUGS AND QUESTIONS
Please refer to the Date::Manip::Problems documentation for information on submitting bug reports or questions to the author. SEE ALSO
Date::Manip - main module documentation LICENSE
This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) perl v5.12.1 2010-01-12 Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)