Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping backslash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Escaping backslash Post 302243984 by swmk on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 01:43:51 AM
Old 10-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by juheimbu
You could try using sed to parse the value once you've read it:

var=c:\mask\mask
newvar=`echo $var|sed -e 's/\\/\\\\/g'`

Then use newvar for the rest of your operations. I'm sure there's a slicker solution, it just escapes me at the moment.
Return this;
sed: command garbled: s/\/\\/g

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping '*' in Bash

I have the following situation ============ export DirectoryName=/tmp/xyz if ; then some_new_env=$DirectoryName"/*" ======================= I tried all the ways of escaping the '*', but still the shell seems to expand the '*' character. I want some_new_env to contain "/tmp/xyz/*" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkshukla14
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping embedded variables

I'm running into a problem with a differential backup script written in GNU Bash 3.0 - the following stripped down code demonstrates the problem quite nicely. $ DATE="last tuesday" $ date --date="$DATE" Tue Jan 6 00:00:00 PST 2009 So far so good. $ CMD="date --date=\"$DATE\"" $... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special Characters-Help

Hi All, I am having a trouble in passing special characters to a script. As I am new to bash script I dont know how to go and solve this. mypwd=(a+sdfg!h# if i pass $mypwd to a bash script, it is not accepting "(,!,+ etc". It would be a great help if some one can help to escape these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping ** correctly

Hello This should be easy, but bash is giving me headaches. At the command line the following command works: duplicity --include /home --exclude '**' / file:///foo Doing that from a script is not straightforward. Note that it is basically a requirement that I place the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping '

I'm cleaning this from some html files style='' but when I try 's/style=\'\''//' I get an unmatched ' error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping path

Hi I use : path=/var/www/admin echo "$path" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g' this return \/var\/www\/admin and is ok. but path2=`echo "$path" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g'` echo $path2 return an error: sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to `s' Can anyone help me? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgian
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command escaping backslash "/"

Hello friends/'unix experts', i have a file as below cat sample.txt satish /rakesh/ sandhya /sandeep/ i have to replace /rakesh/ with rakesh, how can i do it with sed, i tried below code but its throwing errors sed -e 's/'"\(/rakesh/)\"'/\1rakesh/g' sample.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: only4satish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping backslash and asterisk in egrep to match "\*"

So far what i've got is egrep '^(\\)\*$'No luck. I've searched the web and not much luck. I know about the escape character \ but its confusing to figure out how to use it to match a backslash and use it to escape the asterisk also. Any ides? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping the \

So I understand that I should be able to ouput a literal \ by escaping it with a preceding \. My problem is that I am trying to ouput a script that will subsequently be run on a different system with UNC pathing, so I want to ouput two \\ in a row, but escaping them both in sequential order is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JourneyRider
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escaping a variable in ksh

I am trying to echo a variable exactly to a script- echo "${var1} ${var2} >> output.output Gives me a blank file. I would like output.output to basically say: ${var1} ${var2} I think I need to use a special escape character for variables. Am I right in assuming that, and is it the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
Tcl_Backslash(3TCL)					      Tcl Library Procedures					       Tcl_Backslash(3TCL)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Backslash - parse a backslash sequence SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> char Tcl_Backslash(src, countPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *src (in) Pointer to a string starting with a backslash. int *countPtr (out) If countPtr isn't NULL, *countPtr gets filled in with number of characters in the backslash sequence, includ- ing the backslash character. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The use of Tcl_Backslash is deprecated in favor of Tcl_UtfBackslash. | This is a utility procedure provided for backwards compatibility with non-internationalized Tcl extensions. It parses a backslash sequence | and returns the low byte of the Unicode character corresponding to the sequence. Tcl_Backslash modifies *countPtr to contain the number of characters in the backslash sequence. See the Tcl manual entry for information on the valid backslash sequences. All of the sequences described in the Tcl manual entry are sup- ported by Tcl_Backslash. SEE ALSO
| Tcl(1T), Tcl_UtfBackslash(3TCL) KEYWORDS
backslash, parse ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Backslash(3TCL)