Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Control Not Coming Out Of While Loop Post 302243766 by cfajohnson on Monday 6th of October 2008 02:26:26 PM
Old 10-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh1978
I have an empty .gz file in archival directory.

Do you? You are not doing anything with it in the script below.
Quote:
And I am redirecting to a dat file. My while loop is not getting ended. I need the solution.

Where is the loop getting its input? It will finish whenever the end of the input is reached.

If input is coming from the keyboard, press ^D.
Quote:

Code:
cnt=0
  while read line
  do
    cnt=`expr $cnt + 1`

You do not need an external command for integer arithmetic in the standard Unix shell:
Code:
cnt=$(( $cnt + 1 ))

Quote:
Code:
    echo "$ARCH_DIR/$line.gz" >> $DATA_DIR/$FILE_LIST_FILE_FEB
    FILE_NAMES=${FILE_NAMES}" "${line}

The usual idiom is:
Code:
    FILE_NAMES="$FILE_NAMES $line"

Quote:
Code:
  done

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending control c in the loop

I want to go through the list of items and run it. while running it, some of them will have either >there is no response # and then end it... so that it can go to next item OR >there is response # but in order to break out of it, u need to do Control c. How do you send control... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command in while loop - how to get control when no files found?

I have the following statement in script: find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN2} -print | while read file; do ... done When there are no files located by the find comand it returns: "find: bad status-- /home/rnitcher/test/....." to the command line How do I get control in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop control

Hi, I have taken a piece of code from a book, which is working as per the specification. The code.... for entry in * do if then echo $entry fi done The sub-directories present in the current directory will be displayed while executing. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanakumar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop control with two variables in csh shell

Hi All How can i control for loop with two different variables in csh shell Regards Nikhil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nikhilindurkar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop exit control

Hi I would like to exit the loop below on <Enter> even if it sleeps. Is it possible? while true do my_procedure; sleep 60 done Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

coming out from vi editior

Hi Folks, I have opened a log file through Vi editor in putty itself and I was searching for a pattern in logs , let say 'ABCD' /abcd then I want to come out from vi editor, Please advise what is the command to come out from unix editor..! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
1 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Notifications not coming through

Issue: I'm not receiving notifications I can succesfully receive an e-mail if I do this on the command line: /usr/bin/mail -s "NAGIOS HOST ALERT on $HOSTNAME$" rgouette@butlerbros.com but, my command.cfg configuration below, refuses to send an e-mail when I set a service to a critical... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a control file loop

Hi, Let's say I have a control file like this: RHEL apple "echo apple" RHEL bravo "ls -l bravo*" RHEL church "chmod church.txt" SUSE drive "chown user1 drive.txt" SUSE eagle "echo "eagle flies"" SUSE feather "ls -l feather*" HP-UX google "sed 's/^Google.*$/&\ ACTION: go to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
14 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)