Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers to search for a particular character in a word Post 302243701 by ssuresh1999 on Monday 6th of October 2008 10:19:45 AM
Old 10-06-2008
Thanks guys for ur replies

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to parse a word character by character

Hi All, Can anyone help me please, I have a word like below. 6,76 I want to read this word and check if it has "," (comma) and if yes then i want to replace it with "." (dot). That means i want to be changed to 6.76 If the word doesnot contain "," then its should not be changed. Eg. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Search for a word and print the next word

Hi, I am trying to search for a word and print the next word. For example: My text is "<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure">" I am searching for "TYPE" and trying to print ="Lookup Procedure" I have written a code like following: echo $line | nawk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a particular word and replace the first character

Hi Unix gurus, I've a dna sequence in a file format known as fasta format (sequence header starts with > and ignored), an example shown below: >sequence_1 CGTATTCTCCGAATACC ATACG >sequence_2 CAGATTTTCAAATACCCCC In a file like this I want to do the following three search and replace. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Updated Forum Search Index Min Word Length to 2 Chars and Added Quick Search Bar

Today I changed the forum mysql database to permit 2 letter searches: ft_min_word_len=2 I rebuilt the mysql search indexes as well. Then, I added a "quick search bar" at the top of each page. I have tested this and two letter searches are working; but it's not perfect,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
XmTextFindStringWcs(library call)										 XmTextFindStringWcs(library call)

NAME
XmTextFindStringWcs -- A Text function that finds the beginning position of a wide character text string SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Text.h> Boolean XmTextFindStringWcs( Widget widget, XmTextPosition start, wchar_t *wcstring, XmTextDirection direction, XmTextPosition *position); DESCRIPTION
XmTextFindStringWcs locates the beginning position of a specified wide character text string. This routine searches forward or backward for the first occurrence of the string, starting from the given start position. If a match is found, the function returns the position of the first character of the string in position. If the match string begins at the current position, this routine returns the current position. widget Specifies the Text widget ID. start Specifies the character position from which the search proceeds. This is an integer number of characters from the beginning of the text buffer. The first character position is 0 (zero). wcstring Specifies the wide character search string. direction Indicates the search direction. It is relative to the primary direction of the text. The possible values are XmTEXT_FORWARD The search proceeds toward the end of the buffer. XmTEXT_BACKWARD The search proceeds toward the beginning of the buffer. position Specifies the pointer in which the first character position of the string match is returned. This is an integer number of char- acters from the beginning of the buffer. The first character position is 0 (zero). If the function returns False, this value is undefined. For a complete definition of Text and its associated resources, see XmText(3). RETURN
Returns True if a string match is found; otherwise, returns False. RELATED
XmText(3) and XmTextFindString(3). XmTextFindStringWcs(library call)