Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to suppress minor C compiler warnings Post 302243592 by speedos82 on Monday 6th of October 2008 05:29:56 AM
Old 10-06-2008
I understand that these warnings are appearing as a result of errors in the code, but what I can't understand is why these warnings appear only on this version of solaris with this version of the c compiler. There are far too many files involved to go through each and correct these. I want a setting to suppress these minor warnings.

If I compile the exact same sourcecode on SunOS 5.8 using Sun WorkShop 6 update 1 C++ 5.2, or on Windows XP using Microsoft 32-bit C/C++ Standard Compiler Version 12.00.8168, I don't get any warnings.

Can you explain why this is?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

CC 5.5 compiler flag to issue 64bit porting warnings on sparc-solaris

Hi, We are porting our application from 32bit to 64bit. We tried -xarch=v9, -xarc=v9a and -xport64=full options so that compiler to issue 64bit porting warnings. But we are not getting any porting warninings WE are using CC 5.5 compiler on sparc-solaris m/c. Please tell us some powerful... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shobhah
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppress awk warnings

Hello everyone, Sorry if this is a bit of an RTM thing, but I can't find any flags for suppressing warnings with awk and Googling (this site too) didn't yield much useful. Does anyone know how to suppress warnings? The warning I'm specifically trying to remove is one warning me that I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdelok
1 Replies

3. Programming

How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries?

To make a programming language you need a compiler, so what was the first programming language and how was is created if you need the compiler first? The compiler itself is considered as a high language comparing to the machine! since the compiler is not created in 1's and 0's... Eventhough i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Not getting warnings!!

I have tried to compile the code on solaris which is bash-3.00$ uname -a SunOS zen 5.7 Generic_106541-37 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80 bash-3.00$ CC -V CC: WorkShop Compilers 5.0 98/12/15 C++ 5.0 when I compile just a simple program, int main() { long kk = 200; int jj = kk; return... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_27
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing colors for compiler errors/warnings

Hi, I am using GNU unix. And running a bash shell. Can anyone please tell me what is the command for changing the color of the compiler error/warning messages on the console. I think it is in .bashrc and do not know how. Thanks Pink (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pink01
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing colors for compiler errors/warnings

Hi, I am using GNU unix. And running a bash shell. Can anyone please tell me what is the command for changing the color of the compiler error/warning messages on the console. I think it is in .bashrc and do not know how. Thanks Pink (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pink01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Minor Calculation Error

Hello everyone!! I got a slight problem doing some calculation from the text file. I able to get the specific data by cutting it using grep and cut. The amount can be calculated but the problem I faced now is even the field which I didnt cut is been calculated too. This is what I meant. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLHaNz
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Minor changes to script

isNumeric() { numericExpression='^+$' if ! ] then echo 1; else echo 0; fi } getColumnData() { echo `echo $1|cut -d "," -f1,2 --output-delimiter " "` } containsSegment() { if ] || ] || ] ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyags
2 Replies
warnings(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     warnings(3pm)

NAME
warnings - Perl pragma to control optional warnings SYNOPSIS
use warnings; no warnings; use warnings "all"; no warnings "all"; use warnings::register; if (warnings::enabled()) { warnings::warn("some warning"); } if (warnings::enabled("void")) { warnings::warn("void", "some warning"); } if (warnings::enabled($object)) { warnings::warn($object, "some warning"); } warnings::warnif("some warning"); warnings::warnif("void", "some warning"); warnings::warnif($object, "some warning"); DESCRIPTION
The "warnings" pragma is a replacement for the command line flag "-w", but the pragma is limited to the enclosing block, while the flag is global. See perllexwarn for more information and the list of built-in warning categories. If no import list is supplied, all possible warnings are either enabled or disabled. A number of functions are provided to assist module authors. use warnings::register Creates a new warnings category with the same name as the package where the call to the pragma is used. warnings::enabled() Use the warnings category with the same name as the current package. Return TRUE if that warnings category is enabled in the calling module. Otherwise returns FALSE. warnings::enabled($category) Return TRUE if the warnings category, $category, is enabled in the calling module. Otherwise returns FALSE. warnings::enabled($object) Use the name of the class for the object reference, $object, as the warnings category. Return TRUE if that warnings category is enabled in the first scope where the object is used. Otherwise returns FALSE. warnings::fatal_enabled() Return TRUE if the warnings category with the same name as the current package has been set to FATAL in the calling module. Otherwise returns FALSE. warnings::fatal_enabled($category) Return TRUE if the warnings category $category has been set to FATAL in the calling module. Otherwise returns FALSE. warnings::fatal_enabled($object) Use the name of the class for the object reference, $object, as the warnings category. Return TRUE if that warnings category has been set to FATAL in the first scope where the object is used. Otherwise returns FALSE. warnings::warn($message) Print $message to STDERR. Use the warnings category with the same name as the current package. If that warnings category has been set to "FATAL" in the calling module then die. Otherwise return. warnings::warn($category, $message) Print $message to STDERR. If the warnings category, $category, has been set to "FATAL" in the calling module then die. Otherwise return. warnings::warn($object, $message) Print $message to STDERR. Use the name of the class for the object reference, $object, as the warnings category. If that warnings category has been set to "FATAL" in the scope where $object is first used then die. Otherwise return. warnings::warnif($message) Equivalent to: if (warnings::enabled()) { warnings::warn($message) } warnings::warnif($category, $message) Equivalent to: if (warnings::enabled($category)) { warnings::warn($category, $message) } warnings::warnif($object, $message) Equivalent to: if (warnings::enabled($object)) { warnings::warn($object, $message) } warnings::register_categories(@names) This registers warning categories for the given names and is primarily for use by the warnings::register pragma, for which see perllexwarn. See "Pragmatic Modules" in perlmodlib and perllexwarn. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-25 warnings(3pm)