Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C Reference Book
Top Forums Programming C Reference Book Post 302242959 by otheus on Friday 3rd of October 2008 09:16:21 AM
Old 10-03-2008
My first choice is neither, but rather the K&R standard: The C Programming Language (book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It really is the best book. One of the books' authors designed the language while the other designed the AWK language.

While I like O'Reilly books, these are generally targeted toward a slightly more sophisticated audience. Reader reviews from Amazon confirm that this book's best features are its detailed reference of the standard library, an absolute necessity if you are going to be programming in a non-Windows environment; the book also contains explanations of using gdb and make, rather necessary tools for modern C development in UNIX. By contrast, the reviews about the Sams book indicate that at 900+ pages, this book is geared toward even the beginning programmer, and is described as teaching a "Plain Vanilla" C, ie, not especially for UNIX nor Windows.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix book reference

Does anyone here have a favorite? I just wanted to find a reliable book which is meaty in content and still easily understandable.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarin14
3 Replies

2. Programming

Reference to a const

Can any one explain how the statement '2' in the following statements is a legal one. int & ref = 3; // Illegal statement - Compiler error. const int& ref=3 ; // Compile and executes properly. Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
1 Replies

3. AIX

AIX Reference Book

Hi Guys, Can any one please provide me the link where i can download good reference book for AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
2 Replies

4. AIX

Required AIX Simulator \Command reference book

Sir, Iam required AIx simulator If any send the download link I required it for practice (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arif185
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl reference

Hi all, I have a reference named $test. it points to the data structure as follows 'test' => }, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon sine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk language reference: book

Gurus, I am looking for a book on Awk programming. A quick Google search gave me Amazon.com: The AWK Programming Language (9780201079814): Alfred V. Aho, Brian W. Kernighan, Peter J. Weinberger: Books by Alfred Aho. Is there anything other than that? Any advice? Thanks. Al. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Book reference

hello I am looking for book reference far Linux books that have information that is up to date. Example: Running Linux, O`Reilly, year 1995. Or Linux Administration, A beginners guide, 5`th ed, Mc Graw Hill Osbourn, year 2009. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl de-reference code reference variable

Guys, May i know how can we de reference the code reference variable.? my $a = sub{$a=shift;$b=shift;print "SUM:",($a+$b),"\n";}; print $a->(4,5); How can we print the whole function ? Please suggest me regarding this. Thanks for your time :) Cheers, Ranga :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies
DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId(library call)									    DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId(library call)

NAME
DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId -- obtains the locator of a book's TOC section SYNOPSIS
#include <DtMmdb.h> DtMmdbHandle* DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId( DtMmdbInfoRequest* request); DESCRIPTION
The DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId function returns the object identifier of the specified book's TOC section. Use the DtMmdbFreeHandleList function to release the memory when the object identifier is no longer needed. Table lookup is involved when the identifier is specified by either the primary_oid or sequence_num field. ARGUMENTS
request Specifies the bookcase in the bookcase descriptor field, as well as a valid value in the primary_oid, the secondary_oid, or the sequence_num field. The primary_oid represents the DtInfo Database object identifier of the TOC section; the secondary_oid rep- resents the object identifier of the book itself; and the sequence_num represents the sequence number of the book within the bookcase (0 based). If more than one of these fields have a valid value, the order of precedence is: primary_oid, secondary_oid, and, last, sequence_num. RETURN VALUE
If DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the object identifier for the book's TOC section. If it fails, it returns a NULL pointer. EXAMPLE
The following shows how a DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId call might be coded. DtMmdbInfoRequest request; request.bookcase_descriptor = DtMmdbGetBookCase(myInfoLibPtr, "myBase"); request.sequence_num = 1; DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId(&request); SEE ALSO
TO BE SUPPLIED. DtMmdbBookGetTocObjectId(library call)