Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE <92> unknown character when opened with Vi editor in Linux Post 302242672 by era on Thursday 2nd of October 2008 02:24:47 PM
Old 10-02-2008
Code:
perl -i~ -pe 's/\x92/ /' filename

There are many other ways but many of them are not entirely portable. If you have Perl, this should work without modification. The original file will be saved as filename~

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

underline character in vi editor

I want to print a man page for a command in unix, this is what I did man command > command.txt but when I view the output file command.txt I found there are lot of _^H characters that in the man page are actually underline character, how can I replace this _^H with underline character? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Melissa
2 Replies

2. Programming

C++ Editor for Linux MD9.1

What is the best C++ editor that works under MD9.1? I know the question is more of a personal opinion, but it's more meant for me to see what program would be best to install. Also, does C++ under a unix-based OS work differently then under windows? Because I've learned C++ for windows and want... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arendo
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Number of files currently opened in linux

Hello, How do i check number of files currently opening in the linux server? Your help is highly appreciated. Thank you ---------- Post updated at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:19 PM ---------- never mind!! I got it. ---------- Post updated at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

@ character in vi editor

Hi, I have received a file from in ASCII format. When I am viewing in the vi editor I could see the content like below 000700006098204 983004100 09910LATINA 09920LT 09930380 @ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount unknown (linux) image

I want to buy an ereader described known among others as MDB-106 described here: ambiancetechnology . com . Because I promissed myself never to buy anything (again) that is closed I am trying to see how open it is. It states there there is Linux 2.6 inside. Also some software updates can be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocus
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J for newline character does not work inside vi editor

Hi friends, I am trying to add a newline char ('\n') between the query and the commit statement in the following shell script. #! /bin/sh echo "select * from tab; commit;" > data.sql I have tried typing in "Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J" combination which has inserted ^@ (NUL) character but the commit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

iptables producing 'Unknown error 18446744073709551615' inRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.5

Creating a large number of rules such as 100000, iptables will produce errors after 42000 rules "iptables: Unknown error 18446744073709551615". But another machine where i have debian virtual machine I can easily run the sciprt of 100000 of rules I am waiting for your reply 4.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tahirfattani
1 Replies
libcaca character set conversions(3caca)			      libcaca				  libcaca character set conversions(3caca)

NAME
libcaca character set conversions - Functions __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *, size_t *) Convert a UTF-8 character to UTF-32. __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *, uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to UTF-8. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to CP437. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_t) Convert a CP437 character to UTF-32. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to ASCII. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_t) Tell whether a UTF-32 character is fullwidth. Detailed Description These functions perform conversions between usual character sets. Function Documentation __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *s, size_t *bytes) Convert a UTF-8 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set. If the second argument is not null, the total number of read bytes is written in it. If a null byte was reached before the expected end of the UTF-8 sequence, this function returns zero and the number of read bytes is set to zero. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-8 sequences is undefined. Parameters: s A string containing the UTF-8 character. bytes A pointer to a size_t to store the number of bytes in the character, or NULL. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if the character is incomplete. Referenced by caca_put_str(). __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *buf, uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and write its value in the UTF-8 character set into the given buffer. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: buf A pointer to a character buffer where the UTF-8 sequence will be written. ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The number of bytes written. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and return its value in the CP437 character set, or '?' if the character has no equivalent. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding CP437 character, or '?' if not representable. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_tch) Convert a CP437 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set, or zero if the character is a CP437 control character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The CP437 character. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if not representable. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character into an ASCII character. When no equivalent exists, a graphically close equivalent is sought. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding ASCII character, or a graphically close equivalent if found, or '?' if not representable. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_tch) Check whether the given UTF-32 character should be printed at twice the normal width (fullwidth characters). If the character is unknown or if its status cannot be decided, it is treated as a standard-width character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: 1 if the character is fullwidth, 0 otherwise. Referenced by caca_put_char(), and caca_put_str(). Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libcaca from the source code. Version 0.99.beta18 Fri Apr 6 2012 libcaca character set conversions(3caca)