Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting searching for decimal numbers in a file Post 302242330 by cesarNZ on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 04:29:05 PM
Old 10-01-2008
searching for decimal numbers in a file

hi all,
was wanting to know how to search for decimal numbers in a file ? am using solaris 8 and have tried a few options with "grep" but none of them seem to work.

thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare decimal numbers

Hi anyone, i need to compare two decimal numbers i thought that it could be do it with if but... :( So, i'm writing in csh and i really apreciate if anyone can help me if ( $ppl_kn <= $ppl_wb ) then echo "############# KNdiscount model has the lowest perplexity" set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmxps
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Devision of Decimal Numbers?

How can i devide decimal numbers? I am getting this kind of error: line 18: 200.2/40.234: syntax error in expression (error token is ".2/40.234") What can i do to work around this problem? Thanks for any advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vozx
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

decimal numbers

Hi friends How can I use "for loop" for decimal numbers? ex: 0.1 < x < 0.6 I used this commands but does'nt work. LIMIT=0.6 for ((x=0.1; x<=LIMIT; x++)) do - - - done Many thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snow
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Decimal Numbers

Im trying to compare two numbers with decimals but its not working as expected. a=1 b=1.1 if then echo "equal" fi When I do this it says that the numbers are equal. Ultimately Im using -le and -ge in the if statements but I tested with -eq for simplicity. Any way to make this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding decimal numbers

Hello... I am new to unix and I am wondering if in a C-shell script , Are we supposed to use only whole numbers........ for example..if a program needs to calculate the average of some numbers........ @ avg = (($1 +$2 + $3)/3)) is returning a whole number.........How can a decimal be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravindra22
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Condition for decimal numbers

Hi experts, My number output has somehting like below filename /temp 0.23 10.23 How do i put a condition to the above numbers? e.g if then the . seem to give me problems. Pls help. thanks ---------- Post updated at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:23 PM... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: streddy
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If then else for decimal numbers part2

Hi, I have a small problem with my script. I have everything in order but it doesnt seem to compare anything less than 1 correctly. If the input is more than 1, then the results is correct. If the input is 0.xxx (anything) it returns erroneous results. Pls help input=0.12 if ; then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: streddy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing the decimal points of numbers (3d coordinates) in a file; how to input data to e.g. Python

I have a file full of coordinates of the form: 37.68899917602539 58.07500076293945 57.79100036621094 The numbers don't always have the same number of decimal points. I need to reduce the decimal points of all the numbers (there are 128 rows of 3 numbers) to 2. I have tried to do this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Decimal numbers and letters in the same collums: round numbers

Hi! I found and then adapt the code for my pipeline... awk -F"," -vOFS="," '{printf "%0.2f %0.f\n",$2,$4}' xxx > yyy I add -F"," -vOFS="," (for input and output as csv file) and I change the columns and the number of decimal... It works but I have also some problems... here my columns ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Read a file with decimal numbers in bash

Hello, I have the following script while read id fraction do sambamba -h -f bam -t 10 --subsampling-seed=50 -s $frac ${id}.bam -o ${id}.out.bam done < fraction.txt where fraction.txt has two columns (id,fraction) and 50 rows I am unable to run this as bash is not able to read the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)