Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how can i verify and captalise my first character of string Post 302242222 by spirtle on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 12:22:49 PM
Old 10-01-2008
You probably need the islower(3) and toupper(3) functions in ctype.h.
e.g.
Code:
if( islower(text[0]) ) text[0] = toupper(text[0]);

remembering that what counts as lower-case depends on the current locale.

As an aside, make sure that you free text before the early return.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the last character in a string

Hi In the shell scripted I'm trying to write! I would like to test the last character in a string. The string is a path/directory and I want to see if the last character is a '/'. The string (path/directory) is inputted by a user. If the '/' character isn't present then I want to be able to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
11 Replies

2. Programming

converting character string to hex string

HI Hi I have a character string which contains some special characters and I need it to display as a hex string. For example, the sample i/p string: ×¥ïA Å gïÛý and the o/p should be : D7A5EF4100C5010067EFDBFD Any pointers or sample code pls. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display only last character of a string?

hi all, if i do an: "echo $string |" what should be after the pipe to display ONLY the last char of the output? tia, DN2 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check string of character

how can i check whether variable contains only character from a-z or A-Z....if my variable contains any alpha numeric, numeric or any character with some special one i.e. *%&@! etcetera etcetera....then it should show me please enter only characters...... Let my variable var1="abc77}|" then... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

access each character in a string

Hi All, I'm writing a script where one of the parameter is a string like: 0011001100 Then I want to do a while loop, according to the value of each character. Could tell how I can access the value of each character in the string? Thank you, Gino (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Verify if substring is found in string

Hi, I'm new to HP-UNIX programming(previously using C++). I am looking for an IF statement which would return TRUE if a substring is found in a string. For example, if 'header' is found in 'header_cp', the IF statement will result to true. Would appreciate any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miashaykoh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character from string

I have a string ----- i want to replace the 3rd '-' with a character How can i do that Basically im trying to do hangman I have added the '-----' string to a file called hash and i have the character in a variable called $input also i have the character location(index) in this variable... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omaral
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
toupper(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       toupper(3C)

NAME
toupper - transliterate lower-case characters to upper-case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); DESCRIPTION
The toupper() function has as a domain a type int, the value of which is representable as an unsigned char or the value of EOF. If the argument has any other value, the argument is returned unchanged. If the argument of toupper() represents a lower-case letter, and there exists a corresponding upper-case letter (as defined by character type information in the program locale category LC_CTYPE), the result is the corresponding upper-case letter. All other arguments in the domain are returned unchanged. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, toupper() returns the upper-case letter corresponding to the argument passed. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
_toupper(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Aug 2002 toupper(3C)