Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wipe software for Hp-ux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Wipe software for Hp-ux Post 302242188 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 10:43:32 AM
Old 10-01-2008
Short answer - there isn't any made by HP. This gets aksed a lot on the HP forums - here is athread with a lot of suggestions, including using ignite. In reality, if you are being audited by DOD, you have to have proof you used software they approve, which means you would not be asking this question to start with.

IT Resource Center forums - Best way to DOD wipe drives with sensitive data. - This thread has been closed

If you have a DOD contract you'd better get the white paper mentioned in the attached thread.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What do you use to wipe your disks?

What are y'all using to wipe your solaris disks? I am being question by IT Security, what I am using to wipe disk. Is anyone using a 3rd party utility? I have used the format utility in solaris previously. But they are looking for something commercial that I can use. Anyone have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can hanging perl process wipe out a directory?

Hi, This weekend i left a perl script running , I was running it in a remote machine. The machine seems to have been rebooted during the weekend. When i got back on monday the entire directory containing the script was wiped out. The process had been aborted. Nobody has access to the directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboxilica
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reommendations for hp-ux wipe software

I am looking for software to do DoD compiliant wipes on Hp-Ux. Thank you in advance for any recommendations provided. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jim15800
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Wipe a Sunfire V480

Hi Guys I'm new here in these forums and also in Sun Solaris/Sun hardware related things. I have some really basic questions about the way to go for "wipe" a Sun Solaris system. I have to sell a used Sunfire v480 and I wan't to wipe the old sytem before selling it. But I'm not sure if I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slowatsch
6 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

How do I wipe stdout?

Today I used Terminal (invoked from Mac OS X 10.4.11) to view some data that is secured by a password. After exiting Terminal, it occurred to me that a vestige of the data displayed on my screen might reside in memory or in disk file ... the actual file used for stdout, for example. Do I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcollins
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Wipe tool for HP-UX

Hi, Please suggest wipe tool for hp-ux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris box completely wipe

HI, I woluld like to know is it possible to boot solairs into single usermode from cd and using format -> purge command to wipe all the disk? please suggest or any other method ? my requirement is to completely wipe solaris box. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server wipe tool for AIX and Linux

Hi Friends, I am looking for a opensource/inbuilt server wipe tools similar to DBAN for the server decommissions. I have several AIX and Linux machines to decom as part of datacenter shutdowns. But these 'DOESNT' have console access and I need to do the wipe remotely. Can you please suggest me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam2j
9 Replies

9. BSD

Wipe out userland caches with shred, bleach bit is out of reach

Another topic that bothers me on bsd is the missing of bleach-bit. Looking at what bleach-bit can clean, the new version, it wipes out all the caches of the user. May someone can give me a hint how to clean the userland in bsd and all the hidden caches for the user. shred all rubbish or LSA cookies... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
HOSTNAME(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual					       HOSTNAME(7)

NAME
hostname -- host name resolution description DESCRIPTION
Hostnames are domains. A domain is a hierarchical, dot-separated list of subdomains. For example, the machine ``monet'', in the ``Berkeley'' subdomain of the ``EDU'' subdomain of the Internet Domain Name System would be represented as monet.Berkeley.EDU (with no trailing dot). Hostnames are often used with network client and server programs, which must generally translate the name to an address for use. (This task is usually performed by the library routine gethostbyname(3).) The default method for resolving hostnames by the Internet name resolver is to follow RFC 1535's security recommendations. Actions can be taken by the administrator to override these recommendations and to have the resolver behave the same as earlier, non-RFC 1535 resolvers. The default method (using RFC 1535 guidelines) follows: If the name consists of a single component, i.e. contains no dot, and if the environment variable ``HOSTALIASES'' is set to the name of a file, that file is searched for a string matching the input hostname. The file should consist of lines made up of two strings separated by white-space, the first of which is the hostname alias, and the second of which is the complete hostname to be substituted for that alias. If a case-insensitive match is found between the hostname to be resolved and the first field of a line in the file, the substituted name is looked up with no further processing. If there is at least one dot in the name, then the name is first tried ``as-is''. The number of dots to cause this action is configurable by setting the threshold using the ``ndots'' option in /etc/resolv.conf (default: 1). If the name ends with a dot, the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up (regardless of the setting of the ndots option), without further processing. If the input name does not end with a trailing dot, it is looked up by searching through a list of domains until a match is found. If nei- ther the search option in the /etc/resolv.conf file or the ``LOCALDOMAIN'' environment variable is used, then the search list of domains con- tains only the full domain specified by the domain option (in /etc/resolv.conf) or the domain used in the local hostname. For example, if the ``domain'' option is set to CS.Berkeley.EDU, then only CS.Berkeley.EDU will be in the search list, and this will be the only domain appended to the partial hostname. For example, if ``lithium'' is the name to be resolved, this would make lithium.CS.Berkeley.EDU the only name to be tried using the search list. If the search option is used in /etc/resolv.conf or the environment variable ``LOCALDOMAIN'' is set by the user, then the search list will include what is set by these methods. For example, if the ``search'' option contained CS.Berkeley.EDU CChem.Berkeley.EDU Berkeley.EDU then the partial hostname (e.g., ``lithium'') will be tried with each domain name appended (in the same order specified); the resulting host- names that would be tried are: lithium.CS.Berkeley.EDU lithium.CChem.Berkeley.EDU lithium.Berkeley.EDU The environment variable ``LOCALDOMAIN'' overrides the ``search'' and ``domain'' options, and if both search and domain options are present in the resolver configuration file, then only the last one listed is used (see resolver(5)). If the name was not previously tried ``as-is'' (i.e., it fell below the ``ndots'' threshold or did not contain a dot), then the name as orig- inally provided is attempted. ENVIRONMENT
LOCALDOMAIN Affects domains appended to partial hostnames. HOSTALIASES Name of file containing (host alias, full hostname) pairs. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf See resolver(5). SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(5), mailaddr(7) BSD
February 16, 1994 BSD