Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename file based on first 3 characters of data in file Post 302242169 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 09:48:34 AM
Old 10-01-2008
Assuming you want to rename all the files in the current directory:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

for file in *; do
  ext=`cut -c 1-3 ${file}`
  mv ${file} ${file}_${ext}
done

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename File Based on Created Date

I am trying to rename files based on the created/born date of the file. I Have a total of 4000 files that i am trying to do this with and would like it to be log_yyyymmddhh.gz right now the files are maillog.???.gz. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to get this done via scipt? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder based on containing XML file

Hi everyone. I'm in need of a solution where i need to rename a folder to a name that's inside an XML file in that folder. OS is Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome. I've tried using grep, sed and xpath, but can't seem to find a solution. This is the simplified folder structure: FOLDER-NAME -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoolCow
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to rename file based on name in same file

Good day. I need a one-liner (if possible) otherwise a longer script to do the following: I have a list of files in a directory with the same filename extension, ie. firstfile.cks, anotherfile.cks, somefile.cks, etc.The filename and extension, however, are incorrect. The correct filename... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename portion of file based on another file

Hello, I've been searching and reading, but I can't figure out how to solve this problem with my newbie skills. In my directory, I have a list of files (see dirlist.txt attachment) that I need to merge and rename. I have part of the code of the code figured out (see below). However, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjulka
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file based on a specific separator

Hello, I am new to shell I have a folder which contains a list of files, all the files contain the separator : I need to replace this character for all the filenames (by batch) ex: hello:world should become hello-world please help Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sikilaklak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename rename with characters of file

Hi, I need a bit of help. I've used awk to get the first 7 characters of a file - awk '{print substr($0,0,7)}' test.csv How do I now take this variable to rename test.csv to variable.csv ? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sianm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies
RENAME(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - renames multiple files SYNOPSIS
rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ] DESCRIPTION
"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard input. For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say rename 's/.bak$//' *.bak To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed. -n, --no-act No Action: show what files would have been renamed. -f, --force Force: overwrite existing files. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. AUTHOR
Larry Wall SEE ALSO
mv(1), perl(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error. BUGS
The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target filenames, so had to be used with care. I hope I've fixed that (Robin Barker). perl v5.14.2 2014-09-26 RENAME(1)