Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split File Based on Line Number Pattern Post 302241832 by shankster on Tuesday 30th of September 2008 11:53:35 AM
Old 09-30-2008
Split File Based on Line Number Pattern

Hello all.

Sorry, I know this question is similar to many others, but I just can seem to put together exactly what I need.

My file is tab delimitted and contains approximately 1 million rows. I would like to send lines 1,4,& 7 to a file. Lines 2, 5, & 8 to a second file. Lines 3, 6, & 9 to a third file, and then line 10 to a fourth file. I then want to repeat this condition using the same scenario, and the same four files above. Any thoughts on the best approach?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on a pattern

Dear all, I have a large file which is composed of 8000 frames, what i would like to do is split the file into 8000 single files names file.pdb.1, file.pdb.2 etc etc each frame in the large file is seperated by a "ENDMDL" flag so my thinking is to use this flag a a point to split the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mish_99
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

split XML file into multiple files based on pattern

Hello, I am using awk to split a file into multiple files using command: nawk '{ if ( $1 == "<process" ) { n=split($2, arr, "\""); file=arr } print > file }' processes.xml <process name="Process1.process"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on pattern and size

Hello, I have a large file (2GB) that I would like to split based on pattern and size. I've used the following command to split the file (token is "HELLO") awk '/HELLO/{i++}{print > "file"i}' input.txt and the output is similar to the following (i included filesize in KB): 10 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on pattern

Hi , I have huge files around 400 mb, which has clob data and have diffeent scenarios: I am trying to pass scenario number as parameter and and get required modified file based on the scenario number and criteria. Scenario 1: file name : scenario_1.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a huge 7 GB File Based on Pattern into 4 files

Hi, I have a Huge 7 GB file which has around 1 million records, i want to split this file into 4 files to contain around 250k messages each. Please help me as Split command cannot work here as it might miss tags.. Format of the file is as below <!--###### ###### START-->... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KishM
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file based on pattern line number?

Hi i have requirement like below M <form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM i want split file based on line number by finding... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on number of blank lines

Hello All , I have a file which needs to split based on the blank lines Name ABC Address London Age 32 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London Age 30 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a text file into multiple pages based on pattern

Hi, I have a text file (attached the sample). I have also, attached the way the way the files need to be split. We get this file, that will either have 24 Jurisdictions, or will miss some and retain some. Like in the attached sample file, there are only Jurisdictions 03,11,14,15, 20 and 30.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebsus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split one file to many based on pattern

Hello All, I have records in a file in a pattern A,B,B,B,B,K,A,B,B,K Is there any command or simple logic I can pull out records into multiple files based on A record? I want output as File1: A,B,B,B,B,K File2: A,B,B,K (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal1dealer
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File based on number of rows

Hi I have a requirement, where i will receive multiple files in a folder (say: /fol1/fol2/). There will be at least 14 to 16 files. The size of the files will different, some may be 80GB or 90GB, some may be less than 5 GB (and the size of the files are very unpredictable). But the names of the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpk_ds
10 Replies
IO::Lines(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      IO::Lines(3)

NAME
IO::Lines - IO:: interface for reading/writing an array of lines SYNOPSIS
use IO::Lines; ### See IO::ScalarArray for details DESCRIPTION
This class implements objects which behave just like FileHandle (or IO::Handle) objects, except that you may use them to write to (or read from) an array of lines. They can be tiehandle'd as well. This is a subclass of IO::ScalarArray in which the underlying array has its data stored in a line-oriented-format: that is, every element ends in a " ", with the possible exception of the final element. This makes "getline()" much more efficient; if you plan to do line- oriented reading/printing, you want this class. The "print()" method will enforce this rule, so you can print arbitrary data to the line-array: it will break the data at newlines appropriately. See IO::ScalarArray for full usage and warnings. VERSION
$Id: Lines.pm,v 1.3 2005/02/10 21:21:53 dfs Exp $ AUTHORS
Primary Maintainer David F. Skoll (dfs@roaringpenguin.com). Principal author Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com). President, ZeeGee Software Inc (http://www.zeegee.com). Other contributors Thanks to the following individuals for their invaluable contributions (if I've forgotten or misspelled your name, please email me!): Morris M. Siegel, for his $/ patch and the new "getlines()". Doug Wilson, for the IO::Handle inheritance and automatic tie-ing. perl v5.18.2 2005-02-10 IO::Lines(3)