Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert case on specified position of flat file Post 302241728 by ssantoshss on Tuesday 30th of September 2008 05:00:16 AM
Old 09-30-2008
awk '{print substr($0,1,30)toupper(substr($0,31,2))substr($0,33)}' /tmp/test.dat > /tmp/abc.dat

tried on the below sting

10001da 20080925LHR BAH gf 0006V 20080818001SSA9122278L4NB 20250510 LHR

gave back the same....any mistake in the way i have changed code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a flat file based on multiple colums(using character position)

Hi, I have an urgent task here. I am required to sort a flat file based on multiple columns which are based on the character position in that line. I am restricted to use the character position instead of the space and sort +1 +2 etc to do the sorting. I understand that there is a previous... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucubird
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to convert Flat file to HTML

Hello I need help to convert flat file data to HTML Table format. I am generating everyday Flat file and want to convert into HTML Table format. The format of my file is: version host Total YRS NO APPS PSD 10 Sun 30 2 4 6 7 and flat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert at a particular position in flat file

Hi All, I have a flat file with ~ as de-limiter (e.g: aaa~ba a~caa~0~d~e) What I want is check if the 4th character is 0 and replace it with say 4. So now it becomes : aaa~ba a~caa~4~d~e. I have to do this for the whole file, but the delimiter position remains the same, not the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: akdwivedi
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to convert a flat file to CSV file

Hi , I have a file with contents as below: Contract Cancellation Report UARCNCL LOS CODE DATE REAS TYPE AMOUNT AMOUNT LETTER BY ========= ======= ==== ==== ==== ========= ==== ==== 8174739 7641509 1S NONE CRCD 30-JUN-2008 NPAR N .00 .00 CCAN 8678696 8091709 1S NONE DDEB 30-JUN-2008... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumudha
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a field/column in a flat file

Hi, Let say I have a file which has around 400 fields. SampleFile ========= PATIENTID|FACILITY|................|TIME_LAST_VISITED_BY_MD|.....|STATUS| How is it possible to find out which field is TIME_LAST_VISITED_BY_MD?fro example by seeing the above structure we can saw FACILITY... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert specific field to upper case in file

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt as below I want to convert the date fields in to upper case field3 and field 6 output.txt Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert flat file to csv

Hi I have a file like this: a=1 b=2 c=3 a=4 b=2 d=3 a=3 c=4 How can I change this to csv format a,b,c,d 1,2,3,, 4,2,,3 3,,4,, Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandip_2014
10 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3pm)