Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirecting out of "at command" to file Post 302241685 by era on Tuesday 30th of September 2008 03:09:14 AM
Old 09-30-2008
The backticks expand to the output of the at command -- for a start, take those out.

Do you want to capture the output of the command you run, or the output from at (job number etc)? If the former, do something like

Code:
at -k now + 2 minutes <<HERE
menu.sh >at.out
HERE

If the latter, simply remove the backticks from your original command, and maybe add 2>&1 to the end; at least on Linux, the output from at is to standard error, not standard output.

Last edited by era; 09-30-2008 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: Add stderr hint

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding custom mesg. when redirecting "exec 2>stderr.err" ?

Doubt regarding using "exec" command to redirect the STDERR to a file. e.g I did it this way. mystage.sh #!/bin/sh exec 2>stage.err .... .... cat stage.err mv: cannot move `/root/stage' to a subdirectory of itself, `/root/stage_old/stage' ls: *.zDB: No such file or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snurani
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install "source" command!/ broken "login.cl"!

Hello, I am new to this forums and this is my first "asking help" message! i have 2 problems: 1- for unknown reasons the "source" command is not avalable in my system (UBUNTU). i can't either see it in my bin directory! 2- again for unknown reasons the "login.cl" file in the home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrosona
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Programming

Redirecting output to new file for command "perldoc perllocal"

Hi, I have to redirect output of the command "perldoc perllocal" to new file which contains all the perl module installed. Currently using perldoc perllocal >> mod_data This does not contain all perl modules installed locally on machine, and each character is doubled. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
EXPAND(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 EXPAND(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand -- expand tabs to spaces, and vice versa SYNOPSIS
expand [-t tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file ...] unexpand [-a] [-t tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The expand utility processes the named files or the standard input writing the standard output with tabs changed into blanks. Backspace characters are preserved into the output and decrement the column count for tab calculations. The expand utility is useful for pre-process- ing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, etc.) that contain tabs. The unexpand utility puts tabs back into the data from the standard input or the named files and writes the result on the standard output. The following options are available: -a (unexpand only) By default, only leading blanks and tabs are reconverted to maximal strings of tabs. If the -a option is given, then tabs are inserted whenever they would compress the resultant file by replacing two or more characters. -t tab1,tab2,...,tabn Set tab stops at column positions tab1, tab2, ..., tabn. If only a single number is given, tab stops are set that number of column positions apart instead of the default number of 8. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of expand and unexpand as described in environ(7). DIAGNOSTICS
The expand and unexpand utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. STANDARDS
The expand and unexpand utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The expand command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
April 21, 2002 BSD