Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: curious
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting curious Post 302241428 by Franklin52 on Monday 29th of September 2008 09:54:16 AM
Old 09-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_0209
Hi Franklin,

seq 3...this command does not seem to work on my system......!
You're right, the seq command is not available on most Unix systems, it's a part of the GNU Coreutils.

Regards

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just curious, does Unix stand for anything?

If not, where did the name come from? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious

Dear All I am curious to know, that in a system compromise, when someone has access to a box, does that individual have access to a shell on the system, i.e. the person is logging into the system using telnet or SSH to remotely access the box?? How does this individual/ hacker access the system. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious Dummy

I have a website but I do not for the life of me know how to upload using unix based command lines. Can someone send me a good site that has these commands. That and I am curious to know more about command line based interfacing. :D Curious Dummy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highway39
1 Replies

4. Linux

Curious?

To correct most of the problems with this language, How do I remove the DOS and WORD stuff from it? These come from the fact that it was written on those with a Microsoft supplied platform at the writers request. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: River Freight
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Curious 'ls' Issue

Hi, I am seeing a curious issue with 'ls' command. If I open a telnet session of my Solaris box and give "ls". The output is in 3 columns. a b c d e f g h i j k l However, if I give the same command after a couple of hours in the same window, it goes to 6 columns according to the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious about the -9

I was talking to a coworker and we got into a discussion about the -9. No one knew where the -9 came from and it's not in the man. I suggested that it was like counting to 10 (0-9) and you finally get to the point that that's it, the durned thing is going to die. So how did the -9 come to mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pflickner
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curious

I dont get something about sed If i have a text file inside contain a:a:a:a:a sed "s/"$title:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/"$Ntitle:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/" This work!! but If i have a text file inside contain Tom Tom:La La:Di Di :Do Do :De DE It cannot work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GQiang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two curious questions

Hi, I have been thinking about a few things that I have no idea of how to do with a scripting language (awk/sed I know to make proper use of just these 2). 1. Is there a way to have persistent variables? Say a variable that will be held in memory, and which can be accessed by subsequent... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)