Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming stdout/stdin + flushing buffers Post 302241197 by JamesGoh on Sunday 28th of September 2008 10:40:51 PM
Old 09-28-2008
Ok, I will try and re-specify my problem

Basically Im trying to get a simple prompt being displayed (via printf() ) and have a user respond to it accordingly (via scanf() ).

However this is difficult because the prompt is not being displayed, and previous input I entered in (via another printf() and scanf() ) seems to appear in its place.

Does this make sense

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapper script for image deployment - stdin/stdout - named pipes and the like

Hi everyone, first post here. Anyone who isn't interested in the background, press pagedown :). I sometimes need to make scripts for little things I need in the infrastructure at the company I work at. Currently I am trying to make a wrapper script for a proprietary image-deployment program.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreas.ericson
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from command from/to string

Hi, I am working on a project where I have to generate and execute nasm code on-the-fly. I generate the code in a file program.asm and then execute it.This output is to stdout which i redirect to an output file which i read back to compare results: system("nasm -f elf program.asm >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_cypher
5 Replies

6. Programming

Controlling a child's stdin/stdout (not working with scp)

All, Ok...so I know I *should* be able to control a process's stdin and stdout from the parent by creating pipes and then dup'ing them in the child. And, this works with all "normal" programs that I've tried. Unfortunately, I want to intercept the stdin/out of the scp application and it seems... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
9 Replies

7. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to set font color for STDIN,STDOUT and STDERR?

I want to differentiate the STDOUT and STDERR messages in my terminal . If a script or command is printing a message in terminal I want to differentiate by colors, Is it possible ? Example: $date Wed Jul 27 12:36:50 IST 2011 $datee bash: datee: command not found $alias ls alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
ckyorn(1)							   User Commands							 ckyorn(1)

NAME
ckyorn, erryorn, helpyorn, valyorn - prompts for and validates yes/no SYNOPSIS
ckyorn [-Q] [-W width] [-d default] [-h help] [-e error] [-p prompt] [-k pid [-s signal]] /usr/sadm/bin/erryorn [-W width] [-e error] /usr/sadm/bin/helpyorn [-W width] [-h help] /usr/sadm/bin/valyorn input DESCRIPTION
ckyorn prompts a user and validates the response. It defines, among other things, a prompt message for a yes or no answer, text for help and error messages, and a default value (which is returned if the user responds with a RETURN). All messages are limited in length to 70 characters and are formatted automatically. Any white space used in the definition (including new- line) is stripped. The -W option cancels the automatic formatting. When a tilde is placed at the beginning or end of a message definition, the default text is inserted at that point, allowing both custom text and the default text to be displayed. If the prompt, help or error message is not defined, the default message (as defined under NOTES) is displayed. Three visual tool modules are linked to the ckyorn command. They are erryorn (which formats and displays an error message), helpyorn (which formats and displays a help message), and valyorn (which validates a response). These modules should be used in conjunction with FACE objects. In this instance, the FACE object defines the prompt. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d default Defines the default value as default. The default is not validated and so does not have to meet any criteria. -e error Defines the error message as error. -h help Defines the help messages as help. -k pid Specifies that process ID pid is to be sent a signal if the user chooses to abort. -p prompt Defines the prompt message as prompt. -Q Specifies that quit will not be allowed as a valid response. -s signal Specifies that the process ID pid defined with the -k option is to be sent signal signal when quit is chosen. If no signal is specified, SIGTERM is used. -W width Specifies that prompt, help and error messages will be formatted to a line length of width. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: input Input to be verified as y, yes, or n, no (in any combination of upper- and lower-case letters). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful execution. 1 EOF on input, or negative width on -W option, or usage error. 2 Usage error. 3 User termination (quit). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
The default prompt for ckyorn is: Yes or No [y,n,?,q]: The default error message is: ERROR - Please enter yes or no. The default help message is: To respond in the affirmative, enter y, yes, Y, or YES. To respond in the negative, enter n, no, N, or NO. When the quit option is chosen (and allowed), q is returned along with the return code 3. The valyorn module will not produce any output. It returns 0 for success and non-zero for failure. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 ckyorn(1)