Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK? Post 302241179 by Franklin52 on Sunday 28th of September 2008 04:49:06 PM
Old 09-28-2008
Try this:

Code:
awk 'NR==1{print;next}{$3=substr($3,4)}1' OFS="\t" file > newfile
mv newfile > file

Examine the output of newfile before you replace the original file.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed on 1st column of tab delimited file

Hi all, I'm new to Unix and work primarily in bioinformatics. I am in need of a script which will allow me to replace "1" with "chr1" in only the first column of a file which looks like such: 1 10327 rs112750067 T C . PASS ASP;RSPOS=10327;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hkins552
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to log transform a column in a tab-delimited text file?

How do I use awk to log transform the fifth column of a tab-delimited text file? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract second column tab delimited file

I have a file which looks like this: 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 1 http://www.usnews.com 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 2 http://www.apa.org 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add (append) a column in a tab delimited file

I have a file having the following entries: test1 test2 test3 11 22 33 22 44 66 99 99 44 --- I want to add a column so that the above file becomes: test1 test2 test3 notest 11 22 33 * 22 44 66 * 99 99 44 * --- Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete string between 3rd tab and first pattern with SED

Hello, I have this sentence :Pattern1 Pattern2 Pattern3 Pattern4-which-contains-HELLO-string-and-other-stuff-and-second-HELLO-and-third-HELLO I want to delete everything between the 3rd tab (\t) and the FIRST pattern "HELLO" of the line. Result expected is : Pattern1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete an entire column from a tab delimited file

Hi, Can anyone please tell me about how we can delete an entire column from a tab delimited file? Mu input_file.txt looks like this: And I want the output as: I used the below code nawk -v d="1" 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{$d=""}{print}' input_file.txtBut in the output, the first column is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Extract 4 lines in Column to Rows Tab Delimited between tags

I have tried the following to no avail. xargs -n8 < test.txt awk '{if(NR%6!=0){p=""}else{p="\n"};printf $0" "p}' Mod_Alm_log.txt > test.txt I have tried different variations of the above, the problem is mixes lines together. And it includes the tags "%a and %A" I need them to be all tab... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mytouchsr
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solution for replacement of 4th column with 3rd column in a file using awk/sed preserving delimters

input "A","B","C,D","E","F" "S","T","U,V","W","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","EEEE","FFF" required output: "A","B","C,D","C,D","F" "S", T","U,V","U,V","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","CC,DD","FFF" tried using awk but double quotes not preserving for every field. any help to solve this is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khblts
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
CP(1)							      General Commands Manual							     CP(1)

NAME
cp, cpdir - file copy SYNOPSIS
cp [-pifsmrRvx] file1 file2 cp [-pifsrRvx] file ... directory cpdir [-ifvx] file1 file2 OPTIONS
-p Preserve full mode, uid, gid and times -i Ask before removing existing file -f Forced remove existing file -s Make similar, copy some attributes -m Merge trees, disable the into-a-directory trick -r Copy directory trees with link structure, etc. intact -R Copy directory trees and treat special files as ordinary -v Display what cp is doing -x Do not cross device boundaries EXAMPLES
cp oldfile newfile # Copy oldfile to newfile cp -R dir1 dir2 # Copy a directory tree DESCRIPTION
Cp copies one file to another, or copies one or more files to a directory. Special files are normally opened and read, unless -r is used. -r also copies the link structure, something -R doesn't care about. The -s option differs from -p that it only copies the times if the target file already exists. A normal copy only copies the mode of the file, with the file creation mask applied. Set-uid bits are cleared if the owner cannot be set. (The -s flag does not patronize you by clearing bits. Alas -s and -r are nonstandard.) Cpdir is a convenient synonym for cp -psmr to make a precise copy of a directory tree. SEE ALSO
cat(1), mkdir(1), rmdir(1), ln(1), rm(1). CP(1)