Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK? Post 302241168 by rickdini on Sunday 28th of September 2008 03:31:33 PM
Old 09-28-2008
Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody,

I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..Smilie

Datafile.txt
Column0 Column1 Column2
ABC DEF xxxGHI

I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from column2 of the file, and save the file. It is Tab-delimited...

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! I have been reading tutorials for hours and I just can't get it!

Thanks in advance,
Rick

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed on 1st column of tab delimited file

Hi all, I'm new to Unix and work primarily in bioinformatics. I am in need of a script which will allow me to replace "1" with "chr1" in only the first column of a file which looks like such: 1 10327 rs112750067 T C . PASS ASP;RSPOS=10327;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hkins552
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to log transform a column in a tab-delimited text file?

How do I use awk to log transform the fifth column of a tab-delimited text file? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract second column tab delimited file

I have a file which looks like this: 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 1 http://www.usnews.com 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 2 http://www.apa.org 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add (append) a column in a tab delimited file

I have a file having the following entries: test1 test2 test3 11 22 33 22 44 66 99 99 44 --- I want to add a column so that the above file becomes: test1 test2 test3 notest 11 22 33 * 22 44 66 * 99 99 44 * --- Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete string between 3rd tab and first pattern with SED

Hello, I have this sentence :Pattern1 Pattern2 Pattern3 Pattern4-which-contains-HELLO-string-and-other-stuff-and-second-HELLO-and-third-HELLO I want to delete everything between the 3rd tab (\t) and the FIRST pattern "HELLO" of the line. Result expected is : Pattern1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete an entire column from a tab delimited file

Hi, Can anyone please tell me about how we can delete an entire column from a tab delimited file? Mu input_file.txt looks like this: And I want the output as: I used the below code nawk -v d="1" 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{$d=""}{print}' input_file.txtBut in the output, the first column is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Extract 4 lines in Column to Rows Tab Delimited between tags

I have tried the following to no avail. xargs -n8 < test.txt awk '{if(NR%6!=0){p=""}else{p="\n"};printf $0" "p}' Mod_Alm_log.txt > test.txt I have tried different variations of the above, the problem is mixes lines together. And it includes the tags "%a and %A" I need them to be all tab... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mytouchsr
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solution for replacement of 4th column with 3rd column in a file using awk/sed preserving delimters

input "A","B","C,D","E","F" "S","T","U,V","W","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","EEEE","FFF" required output: "A","B","C,D","C,D","F" "S", T","U,V","U,V","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","CC,DD","FFF" tried using awk but double quotes not preserving for every field. any help to solve this is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khblts
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
Template::Plugin::Datafile(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Template::Plugin::Datafile(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Datafile - Plugin to construct records from a simple data file SYNOPSIS
[% USE mydata = datafile('/path/to/datafile') %] [% USE mydata = datafile('/path/to/datafile', delim = '|') %] [% FOREACH record = mydata %] [% record.this %] [% record.that %] [% END %] DESCRIPTION
This plugin provides a simple facility to construct a list of hash references, each of which represents a data record of known structure, from a data file. [% USE datafile(filename) %] A absolute filename must be specified (for this initial implementation at least - in a future version it might also use the "INCLUDE_PATH"). An optional "delim" parameter may also be provided to specify an alternate delimiter character. [% USE userlist = datafile('/path/to/file/users') %] [% USE things = datafile('items', delim = '|') %] The format of the file is intentionally simple. The first line defines the field names, delimited by colons with optional surrounding whitespace. Subsequent lines then defines records containing data items, also delimited by colons. e.g. id : name : email : tel abw : Andy Wardley : abw@tt2.org : 555-1234 sam : Simon Matthews : sam@tt2.org : 555-9876 Each line is read, split into composite fields, and then used to initialise a hash array containing the field names as relevant keys. The plugin returns a blessed list reference containing the hash references in the order as defined in the file. [% FOREACH user = userlist %] [% user.id %]: [% user.name %] [% END %] The first line of the file must contain the field definitions. After the first line, blank lines will be ignored, along with comment line which start with a '"#"'. BUGS
Should handle file names relative to "INCLUDE_PATH". Doesn't permit use of '":"' in a field. Some escaping mechanism is required. AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin perl v5.12.1 2008-11-13 Template::Plugin::Datafile(3)