Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers comparing timestamp of a file with its touched version Post 302241101 by fpmurphy on Sunday 28th of September 2008 11:49:48 AM
Old 09-28-2008
If the stat(1) utility is available, then here is an example of one way of doing it
Code:
#!/bin/bash

FILE=./testfile        # replace with your file
stat1=$(stat --printf="%Z" $FILE)
touch $FILE
stat2=$(stat --printf="%Z" $FILE)
if [[ $stat1 = $stat2 ]]
then
   echo "touch failed"
else
   echo "touch succeeded"
fi

~

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing timestamp of two files

Hi! I need to copy a whole bunch of file from a build directory to my working directory. Many of these files already exist in my working directory. I need to copy only those files that have been modified since I last copied.. How do I compare the timestamp of two files, so that I would copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Version Numbers

Hi There! Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't find the answer I was hoping for. Basically, all I want to do is compare the OS X version against the version that I require in my script. So I'm retrieving the OS version using defaults read, but how can I compare this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
10 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Finally I touched 1000.Yahooooo!!!

This, my venerable audience, is my 1000th post here. Thanks for your support and help..:b: ---Vidyadhar:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyadhar85
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Never touched UNIX before.. Where do I start?

I will be taking a UNIX course as a part of my college Data Com concentration curriculum. Just thought it would be a good idea to get a little head start, since this class will most likely be quite difficult for someone like me. I never did any programming and I never dealt with Unix or Linux short... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibex333
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Last touched file by a specific program ?

i have a directory where all .csv files are available. i have 3 perl programs(ex: a.pl,b.pl,c.pl) which continuously runs every 1 minute to scan all files in that directory. now i have 2 questions 1) how can i write an app lock on that particular folder to make sure only one program will scan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbjv
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Comparing the timestamp of the file to current time

I have a file like this -rwxr-xr-x 1 rewq other 168 Jan 13 07:05 check_files.sh I want to compare (check_files.sh time) with the current time to see if its is older than 2 hours or not if it is not older than 2 hrs then do something.can someone help me on this?.I dont... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haadiya
7 Replies
XmGetDragContext(3X)													      XmGetDragContext(3X)

NAME
XmGetDragContext - A Drag and Drop function that retrieves the DragContext widget ID associated with a timestamp SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/DragC.h> Widget XmGetDragContext (refwidget, timestamp) Widget refwidget; Time timestamp; DESCRIPTION
XmGetDragContext returns the widget ID of the active DragContext associated with a given display and timestamp. A timestamp uniquely iden- tifies which DragContext is active when more than one drag and drop transaction has been initiated on a display. If the specified time- stamp matches a timestamp processed between the start and finish of a single drag and drop transaction, the function returns the corre- sponding DragContext ID. Specifies the ID of the widget that the routine uses to identify the intended display. The function returns the ID of the DragContext associated with the display value passed by this widget. Specifies a timestamp. For a complete definition of DragContext and its associated resources, see XmDragContext(3X). RETURN VALUE
Returns the ID of the DragContext widget that is active for the specified timestamp. Otherwise, returns NULL if no active DragContext is found. SEE ALSO
XmDragContext(3X) XmGetDragContext(3X)