Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers comparing timestamp of a file with its touched version Post 302241094 by prince258 on Sunday 28th of September 2008 10:33:27 AM
Old 09-28-2008
Bug comparing timestamp of a file with its touched version

Hi,
I'm new to unix,I wanna know how can I compare timestamp of a file with its touched version.i.e I want to be sure if the touch command has worked properly i.e if the file has been touched then a msg should be printed saying success else failure.All this to be incurred in a script.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing timestamp of two files

Hi! I need to copy a whole bunch of file from a build directory to my working directory. Many of these files already exist in my working directory. I need to copy only those files that have been modified since I last copied.. How do I compare the timestamp of two files, so that I would copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Version Numbers

Hi There! Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't find the answer I was hoping for. Basically, all I want to do is compare the OS X version against the version that I require in my script. So I'm retrieving the OS version using defaults read, but how can I compare this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
10 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Finally I touched 1000.Yahooooo!!!

This, my venerable audience, is my 1000th post here. Thanks for your support and help..:b: ---Vidyadhar:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyadhar85
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Never touched UNIX before.. Where do I start?

I will be taking a UNIX course as a part of my college Data Com concentration curriculum. Just thought it would be a good idea to get a little head start, since this class will most likely be quite difficult for someone like me. I never did any programming and I never dealt with Unix or Linux short... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibex333
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Last touched file by a specific program ?

i have a directory where all .csv files are available. i have 3 perl programs(ex: a.pl,b.pl,c.pl) which continuously runs every 1 minute to scan all files in that directory. now i have 2 questions 1) how can i write an app lock on that particular folder to make sure only one program will scan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbjv
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Comparing the timestamp of the file to current time

I have a file like this -rwxr-xr-x 1 rewq other 168 Jan 13 07:05 check_files.sh I want to compare (check_files.sh time) with the current time to see if its is older than 2 hours or not if it is not older than 2 hrs then do something.can someone help me on this?.I dont... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haadiya
7 Replies
touch(3NCURSES) 														   touch(3NCURSES)

NAME
touchwin, touchline, untouchwin, wtouchln, is_linetouched, is_wintouched - curses refresh control routines SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int touchwin(WINDOW *win); int touchline(WINDOW *win, int start, int count); int untouchwin(WINDOW *win); int wtouchln(WINDOW *win, int y, int n, int changed); bool is_linetouched(WINDOW *win, int line); bool is_wintouched(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The touchwin and touchline routines throw away all optimization information about which parts of the window have been touched, by pretend- ing that the entire window has been drawn on. This is sometimes necessary when using overlapping windows, since a change to one window af- fects the other window, but the records of which lines have been changed in the other window do not reflect the change. The routine touch- line only pretends that count lines have been changed, beginning with line start. The untouchwin routine marks all lines in the window as unchanged since the last call to wrefresh. The wtouchln routine makes n lines in the window, starting at line y, look as if they have (changed=1) or have not (changed=0) been changed since the last call to wrefresh. The is_linetouched and is_wintouched routines return TRUE if the specified line/window was modified since the last call to wrefresh; other- wise they return FALSE. In addition, is_linetouched returns ERR if line is not valid for the given window. RETURN VALUE
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an integer value other than ERR upon successful completion, unless otherwise noted in the preceding routine descriptions. X/Open does not define any error conditions. In this implementation is_linetouched returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if the line number is outside the window. Note that ERR is distinct from TRUE and FALSE, which are the normal return values of this function. wtouchln returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if the line number is outside the window. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. Some historic curses implementations had, as an undocumented feature, the ability to do the equivalent of clearok(..., 1) by saying touch- win(stdscr) or clear(stdscr). This will not work under ncurses. NOTES
Note that all routines except wtouchln may be macros. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), refresh(3NCURSES). touch(3NCURSES)