Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris puzzled with VxVM and iostat.. Post 302241086 by incredible on Sunday 28th of September 2008 09:18:17 AM
Old 09-28-2008
providing the explorer from the system will be good or you may want to log a call with SUN/Veritas simultaneously

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Puzzled with user ID.

I hava been reading AUPE these days. I really am puzzled with the presentation of real user(group) ID, effective user(group) ID. How do they effect on the execution of process? What's the relationship between them? Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lethefe
4 Replies

2. Programming

C++ Puzzled !!

#include <iostream.h> class A { public: void f(void) { cout << "hello world \n" ; } }; void main() { A *a; a = 0 ; a->f(); // OOPs...Am I mad? What am I going to do ? } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RipClaw
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Puzzled over over the relationship between the partition and geometry of hard disk.

Not sure why solaris couldn't detect the geometry of a hard disk which has a working OS of winxp pro. Is it due to the different OS that the partition information is stored in different location? When I type '"format" it is shown as below, c3d1 < drive type unknown>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: just.srad
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Puzzled with hexdump, hd and ln

How to create a symbolic link to a command with certain argument? When I man hexdump, it is said in the man page that "-C Canonical hex+ASCII display...Calling the command hd implies this option". Actually it is. hd equals to hexdump -C. And then I examined the ln command but find it is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
5 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Puzzled by Find

I'm new to playing with the command line on OS X and am puzzled by the response I am getting from the find command. I have a file structure similar to the following /Volumes/ ../Drobo/ ../../Pictures/ ../../../Image 1/ ../../../../Image 1.jpg ../../../../Previews/ ../../../../../Image... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Denrael
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

10. Programming

Serioulsy puzzled here.

Facebook had a mathematics problem which was as thus:- 6/2(1+2) = ? Answer is 9. My ancient Casio FX 730P mini computer written exactly as that gives 'error' only. Now take a look at shell versions, and a python version:- Last login: Wed Sep 14 18:04:04 on ttys000 AMIGA:barrywalker~>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
vxiod(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						  vxiod(7)

NAME
vxiod - Veritas Volume Manager I/O daemon process control device DESCRIPTION
The vxiod device in Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) is used to control the number of volume I/O daemons active on the system. A process con- text is necessary to implement the plex consistency recovery and writeback error handling policies for multi-plex volumes, and for continu- ing normal I/O after a log write if the volume has logging enabled. It is also required for the plex recovery performed with a mirrored volume in the read/writeback mode. There are three aspects of I/O daemon operations: o General I/O o Error handling o Log handling I/O handling is achieved by an ioctl command that does not return, but instead calls the vxiod routine to wait for errors or I/O requests and process them. When an error occurs, if there are no I/O daemons active, the I/O simply turns into a failure on that plex. If a gen- eral I/O request is queued up when no daemons exist, then the I/O will hang forever until a daemon process is created. If I/O daemons are active, then the I/O is put on a work queue and the daemons are awakened. A daemon takes an error request and tries to read other plexes until a read succeeds or all plexes have been tried. Then, if the writeback facility is enabled, the daemon tries to write the good data to each plex that failed on the read. If the write is successful, the read error is nullified. An I/O request is handled in a similar manner. Logging is handled in a similar manner. An ioctl command, which does not return, is issued to create a daemon for each volume which has logging enabled. This daemon monitors two queues: one queue of I/O which was started while the log was busy (the ``log'' queue), and another queue of requests which have been logged and now need to be started (the ``ready'' queue). I/O requests are taken from the log queue when the log is no longer busy, and another log write is started. Completion of a log write results in all I/O requests which have just been logged being placed on the I/O daemon's ready queue where they are immediately started. One mechanism finds out how many I/O error daemons are running, and another mechanism allows a process to become an I/O daemon. Before a process becomes an I/O daemon, it should close all open files and detach from the controlling tty. An I/O or logging daemon cannot be killed except through an explicit ioctl. FILES
/dev/vx/iod vxiod control device SEE ALSO
vxiod(1M), ioctl(2) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxiod(7)