Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: possible sed usage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting possible sed usage Post 302240977 by madpenguin on Saturday 27th of September 2008 11:55:27 AM
Old 09-27-2008
Thanks for the reply but it's not quite what I need.

Code:
root@darkstar:~# ls /var/log/packages/glib2-2.18.1-i486-1gnome224jag 
/var/log/packages/glib2-2.18.1-i486-1gnome224jag
root@darkstar:~# installed=$(ls /var/log/packages/glib2-[[:digit:].]* | sed 's/\(-[^-]*-[0-9]\)\(.*\)/\1/g')
root@darkstar:~# echo $installed
/var/log/packages/glib2-2.18.1-i486-1   # installed != 1

root@darkstar:~# ls /var/log/packages/mozilla-firefox-3.0.2-native-1gnome224jag 
/var/log/packages/mozilla-firefox-3.0.2-native-1gnome224jag
root@darkstar:~# installed=$(ls /var/log/packages/mozilla-firefox-[[:digit:].]* | sed 's/\(-[^-]*-[0-9]\)\(.*\)/\1/g')
/var/log/packages/mozilla-firefox-3  # installed != 1

As you can see (I forgot to mention), $NAME can also contain a hyphen sometimes so counting them out in the sed doesn't work half the time. $VERSION should always contain digits but may also contain letters. $ARCH could have either numbers and/or letters (native or i486). And $BUILD can also have both.

If I'm working with a package name like "xpaint-2.7.8.1-i486-2", then my old sed works fine.
Code:
root@darkstar:~# installed=$(ls /var/log/packages/xpaint-[[:digit:].]* | sed 's/^.*\(.\)$/\1/')
2  # installed = 2

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

sed usage

Hi , I have a question. How do I replace 2 words in one line like this IN CLO07 INDEX IN CLOIX07 to IN CLO07_S02 INDEX IN CLOIX07_S02 But one thing to remember is that there are lots of words like CLODM001 . So the only matching pattern is "IN CLO" sample file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage

I'd like to extract the temps from the following command via a series of sed statements but the actual syntax is beyond me. $ nc localhost 7634 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed usage

How can i use sed to change "Linux Cpu (EDF).sh" to "LinuxCpuEDF.sh"? I want to replace the spaces and brackets. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage

Hi, I want to read a command value and replace the command value in another file. Anybody know how to write it??? For example: File A: Command1 = test File B: Command1 = Command2 = Command3 = I want to write a shell script to read content from File A and replace Command1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linboco
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage

Hi, I want to replace some character whenever there is a space using sed. Input file name: aaa command i am trying is sed 's/^$/A/g' aaa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshbharadwaj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

'sed' usage error.

Friends, I came across a wierd scenario while using sed. When I use the below cmd sequence at OS prompt it works fine: sed 's/# TMOUT=120/TMOUT=900/g' /etc/profile > /etc/profile.011211 However when I use the same in a script it throws the following error: ==Error== sed: 0602-404... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage with Variable

Gurus, I am trying to display a match (single character) from beginning of the line in a file using a variable. I tried using sed ... not sure where am doing it wrong... sed -n "/^\$variable/p" FileName.shor sed -n "/^\${variable}/p" FileName.shBoth of the above are not working.....Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command usage

Hi, Can anyone let me know the sed command usage requirement: sed 's/standard/standard_and/' <new.txt>new.txt here it needs to search for the pattern "standard" in the file new.txt and it should replace as "standard_and" in the same file new.txt Note: new.txt is having a separator... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
8 Replies
XMLSTARLET(1)							 xmlstarlet Manual						     XMLSTARLET(1)

NAME
xmlstarlet - command line XML/XSLT toolkit SYNOPSIS
xmlstarlet [<options>] [<command>] [<cmd-options>] INTRODUCTION
XMLStarlet is a set of command line utilities (tools) which can be used to transform, query, validate, and edit XML documents and files us- ing simple set of shell commands in similar way it is done for plain text files using UNIX grep, sed, awk, diff, patch, join, etc commands. This set of command line utilities can be used by those who deal with many XML documents on UNIX shell command prompt as well as for auto- mated XML processing with shell scripts. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of xmlstarlet. --help Display help. COMMANDS
Type: xml <command> --help <ENTER> for command help Available commands include: ed (or edit) Edit/update XML document(s). sel (or select) Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc). tr (or transform) Transform XML documents(s) using XSLT. val (or validate) Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG). fo (or format) Format XML document(s). el (or elements) Display element structure of XML document. c14n (or canonic) XML canonicalization. ls (or list) List directory as XML. esc (or escape) Escape special XML characters. unesc (or unescape) Unescape special XML characters. pyx (or xmln) Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879). p2x (or depyx) Convert PYX into XML. REFERENCES
XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.source- forge.net/). AUTHOR
Mikhail Grushinskiy. XMLSTARLET(1)