Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DataBase Online Or Not
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications DataBase Online Or Not Post 302240845 by Reboot on Friday 26th of September 2008 07:19:49 PM
Old 09-26-2008
Hiii...
I am also System Admin, but usually we take offline backup by taking database and Applications offline and we do something like this:

We use following command :
#ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v grep #Check pmon process.

and if this shows some output, that means Database is online, else it is offline.....

To make database offline,we do following :

1. Get sql prompt :
#sqlplus "/as sysdba"
2. Shut down database:
SQL> shutdown immediate

3. Exit from sql prompt :
SQL> quit

And then again check "pmon" process.

Hope this will help you...

Cheers...

Last edited by Reboot; 10-04-2008 at 05:07 PM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to reconnect to online database?

HI, I am using perl LWP for connecting to online databases. some times i will get connection fail. I want to keep track of that error and again i want to connect. i.e when i get connection fail the program should not stop it should try to connect. I can check connection fail has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanitham
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON Job to copy database and replace existing database

I have a reseller account with hostgator, which means i have WHM and Cpanel. I have set up a staging environment for one of my wordpress installations (client website), which is essentially sitting at staging.domain.com (live site is at domain.com). The staging website is a complete copy of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nzrobert
1 Replies
VCONSOLE.CONF(5)						   vconsole.conf						  VCONSOLE.CONF(5)

NAME
vconsole.conf - configuration file for the virtual console SYNOPSIS
/etc/vconsole.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/vconsole.conf file configures the virtual console, i.e. keyboard mapping and console font. The basic file format of the vconsole.conf is a newline-separated list environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options vconsole.keymap=, vconsole.keymap.toggle=, vconsole.font=, vconsole.font.map=, vconsole.font.unimap= may be used to override the console settings at boot. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the virtual console as well, however only as fallback. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: KEYMAP=, KEYMAP_TOGGLE= Configures the key mapping table of for they keyboard. KEYMAP= defaults to us if not set. The KEYMAP_TOGGLE= can be used to configured a second toggle keymap and is by default unset. FONT=, FONT_MAP=, FONT_UNIMAP= Configures the console font, the console map and the unicode font map. FONT= defaults to latarcyrheb-sun16. EXAMPLE
Example 1. German keyboard and console /etc/vconsole.conf: KEYMAP=de-latin1 FONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), loadkeys(1), setfont(8), locale.conf(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 VCONSOLE.CONF(5)