Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Not Able to Set the path
Operating Systems Solaris Not Able to Set the path Post 302240831 by Reboot on Friday 26th of September 2008 05:32:57 PM
Old 09-26-2008
In which Shell U r working...???
o/p of echo $SHELL ......?????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set PATH using a script

I am a corporate user of Solaris ?? I have to write a lot of scripts to do little repetitive actions. To make this easier I would like to set the PATH so that I do not have to type ./ first before the script name. Is there an easy script that will allow me to set this path when I log in??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
2 Replies

2. Solaris

set path

hi how do i change the default PATH in my system. i log in as root, and i have .profile file in my / directory. ive put the PATH=.:/usr.......... statement, but that doesnt seem to be working i also wanted to know why exactly we need the profile file in etc? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: strider
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable PATH

Hi, i know that this topic discussed for many times but although i had researched them i couldnt succeed in my problem. i am following a step-by-step instruction guide and must do the following: ------------- To ensure access, set the path PATH $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin:$PATH and set the Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merope
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set a path for a command?

Hi, I install java at Fedora Core. So to run any java applications i have to write the complety path. For example, /usr/java/jre1.5.0_11/bin/java "javafile" I want to write only "java" but it said "command not found". How i fix this? Thank you very much Lakis (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakis
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set man path

hi, I m not able to see manual page of any commmand in my linux system. every time if i m typing $man <comand> it is showing the no manual entry . I think the man path is not set properrly . could any one tell me how to get the man pages location in the system so that i can set it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set java Path

Hey eveyone, I am new to unix, and I just installed java 6, however it doesn't recognize javac command I tried to set the path such as: set path="/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06/bin/ but i still got the same error message. any ideas? -andi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adtd8
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to set path for a command

Hi all, I am trying ping command in SUN v240 server but it is not working but when i am using the full path /usr/sbin/ping <ip address> then it is working. how to set the path of ping command so that by simply typing ping <ip address> it should work ? Plz help me out:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH set but I can't find where!!!!

Hi, Can anybody help with this? When I log into my user account on my box via ssh and then instantly perform an env command I see that my path has been set as follows: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin My user account uses the ksh shell. In my home directory there is no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I set the path

Very new to this type of thing so go easy on me....... I have downloaded a command language for data display. It came as ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.MacOS_10.6_i386_64bit_gcc421.tar.gz and I unzipped/tarred it into my local directory. The new directory, ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.MacOS_10.6_i386_64bit_gcc421,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davcra
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path set

Something changed on my unix box. Now when I log in it is showing entire path. It used to show only $ prompt before. I know I need to do something in .profile to show only $ prompt Could you please tell me what I should do, to show only $ prompt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
4 Replies
Shell(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						Shell(3pm)

NAME
Shell - run shell commands transparently within perl SYNOPSIS
use Shell qw(cat ps cp); $passwd = cat('</etc/passwd'); @pslines = ps('-ww'), cp("/etc/passwd", "/tmp/passwd"); # object oriented my $sh = Shell->new; print $sh->ls('-l'); DESCRIPTION
Caveats This package is included as a show case, illustrating a few Perl features. It shouldn't be used for production programs. Although it does provide a simple interface for obtaining the standard output of arbitrary commands, there may be better ways of achieving what you need. Running shell commands while obtaining standard output can be done with the "qx/STRING/" operator, or by calling "open" with a filename expression that ends with "|", giving you the option to process one line at a time. If you don't need to process standard output at all, you might use "system" (in preference of doing a print with the collected standard output). Since Shell.pm and all of the aforementioned techniques use your system's shell to call some local command, none of them is portable across different systems. Note, however, that there are several built in functions and library packages providing portable implementations of functions operating on files, such as: "glob", "link" and "unlink", "mkdir" and "rmdir", "rename", "File::Compare", "File::Copy", "File::Find" etc. Using Shell.pm while importing "foo" creates a subroutine "foo" in the namespace of the importing package. Calling "foo" with arguments "arg1", "arg2",... results in a shell command "foo arg1 arg2...", where the function name and the arguments are joined with a blank. (See the subsection on Escaping magic characters.) Since the result is essentially a command line to be passed to the shell, your notion of arguments to the Perl function is not necessarily identical to what the shell treats as a command line token, to be passed as an individual argument to the program. Furthermore, note that this implies that "foo" is callable by file name only, which frequently depends on the setting of the program's environment. Creating a Shell object gives you the opportunity to call any command in the usual OO notation without requiring you to announce it in the "use Shell" statement. Don't assume any additional semantics being associated with a Shell object: in no way is it similar to a shell process with its environment or current working directory or any other setting. Escaping Magic Characters It is, in general, impossible to take care of quoting the shell's magic characters. For some obscure reason, however, Shell.pm quotes apostrophes ("'") and backslashes ("") on UNIX, and spaces and quotes (""") on Windows. Configuration If you set $Shell::capture_stderr to 1, the module will attempt to capture the standard error output of the process as well. This is done by adding "2>&1" to the command line, so don't try this on a system not supporting this redirection. Setting $Shell::capture_stderr to -1 will send standard error to the bit bucket (i.e., the equivalent of adding "2>/dev/null" to the command line). The same caveat regarding redirection applies. If you set $Shell::raw to true no quoting whatsoever is done. BUGS
Quoting should be off by default. It isn't possible to call shell built in commands, but it can be done by using a workaround, e.g. shell( '-c', 'set' ). Capturing standard error does not work on some systems (e.g. VMS). AUTHOR
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:18:16 -0700 Message-Id: <9409222318.AA17072@scalpel.netlabs.com> To: perl5-porters@isu.edu From: Larry Wall <lwall@scalpel.netlabs.com> Subject: a new module I just wrote Here's one that'll whack your mind a little out. #!/usr/bin/perl use Shell; $foo = echo("howdy", "<funny>", "world"); print $foo; $passwd = cat("</etc/passwd"); print $passwd; sub ps; print ps -ww; cp("/etc/passwd", "/etc/passwd.orig"); That's maybe too gonzo. It actually exports an AUTOLOAD to the current package (and uncovered a bug in Beta 3, by the way). Maybe the usual usage should be use Shell qw(echo cat ps cp); Larry Wall Changes by Jenda@Krynicky.cz and Dave Cottle <d.cottle@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>. Changes for OO syntax and bug fixes by Casey West <casey@geeknest.com>. $Shell::raw and pod rewrite by Wolfgang Laun. Rewritten to use closures rather than "eval "string"" by Adriano Ferreira. perl v5.12.5 2012-11-03 Shell(3pm)